Quantitative Social Neuroscientist PhD Intern
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, we strive to achieve surprise and delight for every one of our millions of customers around the world. The Technology Investigation Team is currently looking for a neuroscientist who is passionate about building advanced algorithms for performing inference on complex biological systems. We are looking for someone who has a research background and have made contributions to both basic science and to the development of novel data analytical methods. We want you to be a specialist in navigating large and noisy data sets, embrace uncertainty, and have a foundation in machine learning and scientific computing. We are a team dedicated to conducting impactful research in support of neurotechnology development!
- What we want in an intern:
- - 3+ years of graduate-level research carrying out data driven algorithm design, where you have continually proven that you can translate exploratory data analyses into ML algorithms to infer cognitive/emotional processes.
- - Experience in designing experiments, collecting, analyzing, and modeling very large scale data sets from human behavior including, but not limited to, speech patterns, gestures, social behavior and interaction
- - 4 years applying statistical and signal processing, time series analysis, time-frequency analysis, and image and audio processing methodologies to investigate multimodal datasets
- - Strong theoretical and applied background in some or all of: neural networks, unsupervised/supervised learning, neural coding and bio-inspired computation, graph theory, optimization theory, information theory, and control and dynamical systems
- - Fluent in scientific computing, prototyping, and ML tools (e.g., Python, Matlab, ML and deep learning toolboxes - TensorFlow, Pytorch)
- - Experience investigating any of the following: attention, emotion, communication, sensory processing
This is a multi-faceted scientific role that will require the intern to be versatile across a number of tasks in a highly collaborative environment. You will work closely with scientists and engineers to rapidly carry out studies that help drive research and development. We will expect you to: - Carry out extensive analytics that aim to pull out meaningful and actionable insights from complex multimodal datasets - Harness your insights to design multimodal inference algorithms - Understand and help to build state of the art data acquisition systems - Help to architect and port real-time algorithms to a variety of platforms - Build analytical tools that will be used by other members of a cross-functional team
Education & Experience
We are looking for an advanced doctoral students in Systems or Computational Neuroscience, Biomedical Engineering, EE/CS or Applied Mathematics.
- - Hardware and software experience with multimodal data acquisition, psychophysics, and human-machine interfaces
- - Prototyping experience