System Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
In RE&D, we don’t sit back and let things happen, we make things happen, and we do this in service to all Apple employees and customers. The team is a diverse and nimble group that manages Apple’s workplaces and workplace services. We develop and handle Apple’s global real estate portfolio, lead all related capital construction projects, provide outstanding facilities and site services, develop and lead sustainability initiatives to reduce the environmental impact of all Apple facilities, including commute and renewable energy programs, and do everything we can to ensure the health and safety of all Apple personnel, facilities, and customers in our facilities around the world. We are looking for a great teammate with focus on designing and developing Real Estate and Development web-based and iOS applications. The successful candidate must have the ability to take business requirements and work pro-actively with cross functional teams to obtain clear objectives that drive projects forward to completion.
- 7+ years of experience with designing and developing large-scale applications.
- Experience with UI development using HTML5, Bootstrap.
- Experience with providing and consuming services using REST, SOAP and JSON.
- Experience with writing scripts to process data ingestion jobs.
- Experience with PHP MVC and modern web frameworks.
- Experience with data modeling using relational database.
- Experience with writing and optimizing complex query using MySQL and MongoDB.
- Experience with Git and git workflow.
- Experience with Server Administration (Linux).
- Experience with General ETL development.
- Experience with web security best practices.
- Strong debugging and diagnostic skills.
- Experience with Jira is a plus.
- You have excellent communication skills. Including the ability to communicate clearly and concisely across multiple audiences and partners, including the ability to explain analytical outcomes and technical roadblocks in business terms.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and prioritize tasks in a self-directed work environment and maintain high levels of productivity without direct supervision.
The System Design Engineer is responsible for: Estimate and plan software development work Design complex integrated systems and technical platforms including both hardware and software requirements Review system designs and identify weaknesses Through the use of iOS and web program language to develop applications and web sites Work collaboratively with product manager to collect requirements to build new modules or improve existing modules Engage with clients as necessary Evaluate, maintain and improve existing code base to ensure that it is properly structured and utilize software engineering best practices Direct the work of independent contractors and vendors Troubleshoot, identify and research reported issues, and have the ability to provide recommendations by comparing advantages and disadvantages of various solutions Stay on top of new technologies and tools, and adopt relevant ones to the team Provide recommendations for improvement to team best practices and process Participate in peer reviews, learn and apply software engineering best practices to your work Accountable for meeting assigned project objectives and timelines
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.