GNSS Measurement Engine Firmware Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Would you like to join Apple’s growing wireless silicon development team? Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) space vehicles transmit the power of a lightbulb, they are 13000 miles away, and are moving four kilometers per second. The received signals are commonly one hundred times weaker than cosmic microwave background radiation left over from the Big Bang and arrive next to interfering signals ten billion times stronger, just few MHz away. Our GNSS team is part of Apple's wireless SOC team. We are a vertically integrated engineering team spanning RF, mixed signal analog design, systems engineering, Design Verification, RTL design, firmware and software engineering, Test, and Validation. Our focus is on highly energy efficient and robust GNSS receiver design. We develop GNSS technology that touches hundreds of millions of lives, something we are passionate about. We’d like you to consider being a part of our team. As a GNSS Measurement Engine Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for defining modem architectures, driving physical-layer algorithm designs, and developing digital signal processing schemes for novel ultra-low-power wireless applications.
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of embedded software development as well as a strong background in embedded wireless systems.
- 4+ years of GNSS measurement engine (ME) development experience: acquisition, tracking, impairment, AGNSS, coexistence, multipath and jamming mitigation.
- Advanced background in embedded software development using C, C++ and assembly languages, familiarity with RTOS, ARM CPU and DSP.
- Knowledge of performing low-level drivers and HW bring-up, using test tools and interacting with HW and SoC design teams.
- Experience writing scripts in languages such as MATLAB, Python, Perl, or Tcl.
- Experience implementing diagnostics, manufacturing tests, and protocol compliance test software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are needed.
• Work closely with system/algorithm team in developing GNSS baseband DSP algorithms and measurement engine (ME). • Collaborate with the GNSS SW team to provide system-level API and firmware functionality to meet product requirements. • Implement new product features as part of the development of baseband digital signal processing schemes, device drivers, and diagnostics. • Work closely with product test and protocol stack teams to resolve any issues arising as part of product and interoperability testing. • Provide support to SoC design team and assist internal SW/HW integration and initial chip and product bring-up efforts.
Education & Experience
A BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science is required; a M.Sc. degree is desirable.