Manufacturing Design Engineer– PVD Mechanical Fixture Design and Fabrication
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Design, develop, manufacture and implement mechanical fixtures for our highly visible enclosures to enable amazing finishes.
- Experience with fabricating parts or jigs, fixtures, tooling, metal machining (CNC, mills, lathes) is required.
- Experience with DOE, GD&T, SPC and mechanical fabrication techniques
- Expertise in CAD. Ability to work on CAD, make drawings, do tolerance analysis and review results with broader teams.
- Vacuum chamber and process experience is considered a plus. Understanding of vacuum fundamentals for PVD chamber is valuable.
- Experience designing and manufacturing fixtures that work in high vacuum a plus
- 3+ years proven ability in hands-on development of mechanical components and/or fixtures in R&D and/or production environment3
- Self-motivated with a dedication to delivering high quality results in a dynamic environment
- Periodic domestic and overseas travel expected (up to 25%)
Design, develop, manufacture and implement mechanical fixtures for our highly visible enclosures to enable amazing finishes. Design masking fixtures for 2D/3D metal parts to enable PVD coating coverage requirements Assist in manufacture of robust fixtures that work in vacuum environment (PVD) with multi-axis rotation Assess fixture design and drawing based on part design and coating coverage requirement. Perform risk analysis and communicate with multi-functional teams. Meet sub-mm coating coverage tolerance requirement Enable thickness and color uniformity on 3D parts Come up with inspection techniques to evaluate fixture quality Perform RCCA on post PVD coating coverage results Design and drive DOEs to improve fixture design Identify robust and scalable fixtures for high volume mass production Collaborate with best-in-class equipment and process manufacturing partners to create next-generation fixtures and processes and test limits of fixture and process capabilities Compile the results and present to multi-functional teams to enable project progress Closely work with product design team to understand and modify PVD coating requirement
Education & Experience
BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.