Optical Sensing HW - Coherent Sensor Design (Laser Sensing)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Laser Sensing Hardware group at Apple develops sensing systems for Apple products, including components of the revolutionary FaceID system. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers is responsible for architecture, design, and manufacturing development for new sensing solutions. The Laser Sensing Hardware team is seeking a Coherent Sensor Design Engineer. Join us as we work on designing new optical modules and sensor applications.
- Deep understanding of interferometry, coherent sensing, and related techniques such as coherent optical transceivers and communication systems, and FMCW.
- Experience with optical simulation tools (LightTools, Zemax, FDTD, etc.), bench-level optical characterization, and typical optical metrology tools (power meters, spectrometers, etc.).
- Experience with physics-based modeling, data collection, and data analysis using a scripting or complied language (Matlab, Python, etc.).
- Experience producing system-architecture analyses that link low-level sensor specifications to high-level customer-visible metrics.
- Preferred but not required: digital signal processing (sensor signal conditioning and algorithm development).
In this role, you will lead key areas of introducing new sensing modules: - Design, model, and validate key performance characteristics of coherent sensing platforms. Drive system architecture tradeoffs using modeling and sensitivity analysis techniques. - Engage with a multi-functional team of mechanical, process, optical, and electrical engineers to design and debug new sensors. - Produce engineering documentation and specifications. - Occasional (<10%) travel likely (when public health conditions permit). In all of this work, you need to be an effective communicator — both to collaborate with multi-functional teams and present to executive management on key developments / issues.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Physics or Electrical, Engineering. B.S./M.S. and industry experience, or Ph.D. - 2+ years of industry experience in a development and manufacturing environment preferred.