Advanced Materials Scientist - Electrolyte Development
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming outstanding products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what we could accomplish! As a member of battery materials development organization, you will develop electrolyte formulations and validate in full-cells for advanced cell chemistry platforms. You will identify cell performance needs and develop matching electrolyte formulations to enable the chemistry as we lead ground breaking innovative electrolyte discovery, optimization and performance evaluation with teams of battery material scientists. You will introduce new electrolytes to form factor cells to ensure new cell chemistry achieves performance targets as we work with internal multi-functional teams and external vendors in all aspects of new cell platform development.
- 5+ years proven in applied electrolytes R&D, preferably the experience is tied to mass produced cells using advanced cathode and/or anode materials
- Demonstrated expertise and extensive hands-on experience in organic and/or polymer chemistry including synthesis, characterization and evaluation.
- Experience with liquid electrolytes, polymer electrolytes, ionic liquids, and solid state electrolytes.
- Track record of discovery, development, and/or scale up of new electrolyte materials.
- Track record of successful development and introduction of new electrolytes to full cells.
- Experienced with cell design, cell chemistry development and industrial cell production process is a strong plus.
- Track record of innovation and perseverance in the face of challenges
- Impeccable level of scientific integrity, and excellence with regard to experimental methodology, data analysis and reporting
- Demonstrated expertise in developing electrolytes for advanced cells using new active cathode and anode materials.
- Able to use advanced analytical techniques for electrolyte characterization; expertise in obtaining and interpreting electrolyte and cell performance relationships
- Able to devise, carry out and optimize synthesis reactions for electrolyte materials and additives
- Able to understand cell, system and product implications of electrolyte performance and guide research accordingly
• Conduct benchmark studies of various electrolytes and additives and provide technical comparisons and critical assessment of their potential • Investigate promising electrolyte material candidates and identify technical bottlenecks to apply focused R&D and innovation • Drive electrolyte R&D with external partners • Lead lab scale synthesis, analytical chemistry, electrochemistry and cell testing of electrolytes • Organize data to ensure traceability and provide data-driven analysis that can be relied upon to guide electrolyte development and qualification decisions • Introduce new electrolytes and lead electrolyte related efforts to ensure qualification in full cells of electrolyte materials and cell chemistry. • Develop intellectual property to protect technology developments and secure a competitive position
Education & Experience
M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Material Sciences or related field