Surface Finishing (SME) - Subject Matter Expert
Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. As part of Manufacturing Design’s Color, Material & Finish (CMF) team, the Surface Finishing SME will create new highly cosmetic surface finishes. You will work with Apple’s Industrial Design and Product Design teams to develop surface finishes with new colors and textures as well as match, pilot and scale new cosmetic finishes for production.
- 5+ years of experience in development of finishing processes for mechanical components, preferably in a hands-on role developing new anodized cosmetic finishes on aluminum mechanical components
- Ability to plan, execute, and present results from investigations using statistical analysis and clearly communicated results and recommendations
- Ability to drive root cause/corrective action activities
- Must have minimum average, preferably superior color discrimination ability
- Solid understanding of mechanical properties of materials as they relate to manufacturing requirements and process drivers
- Experience working with an international supply chain
- Ability to reconcile DFM feedback with design goals
In this role you'll utilize combined mechanical surface preparation (blasting, polishing, texturing, etc) and decorative surface finishing techniques (anodizing, electroplating, PVD, etc) to meet challenging new targets. You'll research new methods for creating new surface finishes and implementing tighter control of existing finishes. Evaluate manufacturing processes at early stages of product development to define critical process requirements and controls for tightest output. Also plan and execute studies to confirm process capability to achieve high yields on high volume enclosures. Then present analysis to key decision makers that will be used to make commercial, cosmetic and design commitments and evaluate supplier capabilities and address shortcomings relative to company needs. Provide on-site support in conjunction with overseas counterparts for implementation of processes at supplier locations and establish relationships with these counterparts and suppliers, and further development of their capabilities and expertise. Maintain working knowledge of key process drivers and domain expertise in the technologies to serve as technical resource on project teams. Investigate and validate new surface finishing processes, techniques, and equipment where appropriate.
Education & Experience
BS/MS in engineering (mechanical, chemical, industrial, materials science, or equivalent
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.