Security Engineer — OS Security
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s OS Security team is looking for a motivated software engineer to join us to maintain, design and deploy world-class containment mechanisms throughout our operating systems. These mechanisms ensure our technologies are resilient and never just one mistake away from compromise. Here you’ll join and have a chance to learn from a group of people dedicated to building the most secure operating systems in the world. And you’ll have the opportunity to do it not just for a small subset of technology enthusiasts or experts, but for millions to use in their daily lives. As part of the Security Engineering and Architecture group, our goal is for our users to feel confident that our devices have their back every time they interact with an Apple product. We work across the company, from designers in our Human Interface group, to engineers in our Silicon Engineering group. Along with our colleagues, we make technology deep within the Operating System and lift it all the way up through the software stack to build features that connect world class security engineering technology directly to users, right at the time they need it. As an engineer on the team, we’ll help you grow your autonomy here and invest your time into the most promising areas to make a difference. You will be able to see your impact on every product Apple makes, and watch your impact grow with your career here. Here, you’ll work with and influence teams across Apple, and the world, to make technology that does right by its users in every life it touches. This isn’t just something we write in our job descriptions, it’s why our group exists. Come help us push further.
- A genuine passion for creating effective and pragmatic security technologies
- Understanding of past, current, and emerging security exploits
- Strong C and systems programming skills
- An understanding of operating systems internals
- Ready to balance concurrent priorities on tight schedules
- Excitement to work with other software, hardware, marketing, and support teams to provide the best security solutions for Apple’s products
- Excellent partnership and communication skills. We collaborate with a broad range of engineering teams involved in these products, and on all of their code.
With all the amazing opportunities for impact on our products, positions on our team come with an equally large array of challenges. SOME CHALLENGES THAT SHOULD INTEREST YOU INCLUDE: - Finding balance between ease of use, performance, and security. - Deciding when to write something new instead of keeping something old. Breaking down ambitious goals into tangible steps. - Working cross functionally to ensure our security technologies are not just built, but used to protect what matters. Most of our work is at the OS and systems programming level. Under most frameworks, often near or inside the operating system kernel. But that’s hardly where our responsibilities end. The projects we own extend up through the entire system, connecting with our users when and how they need it.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience/skills in system programming
- PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:
- iPhone OS and Mac OS X exposure (end user, administrator and/or developer)
- Involvement in open source technologies and development communities such as FreeBSD and Linux
- GREAT TO HAVE:
- Kernel programming
- Hypervisor design and architecture