Watch EE - Coex Electromagnetic Measurements, Modeling, & Simulation
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Watch System EE Validation team is looking for a motivated engineer who wants to tackle system coex problems through data, measurements, and simulation. You are a detailed and analytical thinker, have an aptitude for learning, and enjoy all manner of electromagnetics, antennas, and RF. This is an opportunity to apply simulation and modeling to unveil the 'hidden schematic' of system coexistence. What are the various ways a RF couples and affects a sensitive subsystem? Gain insight into complex issues impacting product design and architecture to deliver a world-class user experience for Apple Watch and its millions of loyal users! Are you a detail oriented, hands-on problem solver who enjoys acquiring and applying knowledge, then this opportunity is for you to be on our team?
- We are a group of thinkers who are detail oriented and innately curious!
- Team collaborator with excellent interpersonal communication and documentation skills who thrive in a cross-functional environment
- Possess excellent RF and electrical engineering fundamentals for grasping schematics, system architecture, digital and analog circuits, EMC/EMI, antennas
- We are hands-on experience troubleshooting and root-causing problems with prototype hardware
- Experience integrating LTE/WiFi/BT/UWB radios into shipping designs
- Familiar with RF test equipment (including spectrum analyzer, VNA, power meter, signal generators, anechoic chambers, and RF enclosures)
- We bring data-driven decision-making and analytics to improve our products
- Experience with simulation software such as CST, HFSS, COMSOL, or similar
- Experience with Python, MATLAB or similar scripting language for capturing and analyzing large datasets
- NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with high speed layout
- Familiar with EMC and EMI measurements
- Familiar with chip-level I/O designs, and analog-front ends
- Experience with sampled systems and digital signal processing
- Familiar with material electrical properties characterization
- Embedded system design experience
You will spend your time working across teams to learn about sensor modules and antennas, gain insights into coex mechanisms, and collaborate on driving solutions. This effort will include data collection, data processing, RF/OTA measurements, and 3D electromagnetic modeling activities. - Create full 3D electromagnetic simulation models of Apple Watch and sub-systems - Setup and perform RF conducted and radiated validation/correlation measurements on prototype hardware - Be an integral part of the FA process for RF coex, driving proper measurement methodologies, and proposing experiments - Explore impact of antenna design on systems, propose and run simulations to identify where and how RF energy is coupled - Apply insights to influence design decisions for SIP, flex, sensor modules, and other subsystems - Explore various sensor modules, their physics of operation, and susceptibility to RF - Light-duty scripting and automation to collect data from prototype hardware - Data analysis of system coex data, antenna data, and other applicable data for modeling and FA
Education & Experience
A BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, preferably with a focus in RF and antennas.