Depth Module Optical Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
The Depth Hardware group at Apple develops depth-sensing hardware such as the revolutionary TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID and the iPhone 12 Pro LiDAR. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers is responsible for architecture, research, and manufacturing development of these highly complex sensing systems for Apple products. The Depth Hardware team is seeking an optical engineer to lead optical design, analysis, and tolerancing of laser-based optics modules.
- Experience with non-sequential optical simulation in LightTools or similar optical design and analysis tools
- Experience with physical optics propagation in Code V, Zemax, VirtualLab or similar optical design tools
- Experience with design, analysis, and tolerancing of laser-based optical systems
- Solid understanding of physical optics fundamentals (coherent and incoherent beam propagation, thin films, diffraction gratings)
- Hands-on optical system engineering validation and characterization experience
- Experience with high volume manufacturing of optical systems is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven teamwork and leadership skills
• Primary focus is on design, analysis, and tolerancing of laser-based optics modules • Product and system simulation/analysis using a variety of software tools to support engineering development, validation, and characterization (e.g. Rsoft, Matlab, Zemax, Code V, Light Tools, VirtualLab, ASAP, JMP, etc.) • Lead suppliers and cross-functional engineering teams in development, implementation, and FA of optics modules
Education & Experience
M.S./PhD in Optics or Optical Physics with 2-3 years industry experience.