Embedded Wireless Common Firmware Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of a world class modem team, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge embedded firmware that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Do you want to have an impact on every single Apple product? As a Wireless Firmware Engineer on the physical design team, you will be at the center of the embedded 5G/4G/multimode cellular firmware effort within a silicon design group responsible for designing and productizing state-of-the-art cellular SoCs. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of embedded software development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- -Experience with bare-metal and RTOS based data communications.
- -Understanding of communication protocols. (Cellular, Low-Power Wireless, TCP/IP)
- -Deep understanding of software engineering principles, and core computer science fundamentals.
- -Fundamental facility with C and C++, compilers, build and source code control tools.
- -Significant experience with memory constrained Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) and concurrent programming.
- -Working knowledge of computer architecture with particular emphasis on the HW/SW interfaces of high-speed communication subsystems.
- -Experience with silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms.
- -Proficiency debugging embedded software systems. Familiarity with UARTs, JTAG, and oscilloscopes.
- -Some mainstream OS application level development and Python or Perl scripting experience.
- Specify, design, and implement the firmware frameworks, virtual environments, debug tools and test harnesses for a state-of-the-art mobile wireless communications system. - Implement embedded bare-metal drivers and frameworks with very tight time, latency and energy budgets. - Define and Implement Physical Layer interfaces and integrate with higher layers in the protocol stack. - Work with silicon designers to define processor, bus, DMA, accelerator, and memory subsystems. - Assist in the development of pre-silicon emulation systems/virtual platforms and use them for pre-silicon FW design and HW verification. - Evaluate and implement leading edge tools for build, formal verification and test. Build on top of existing Continuous Integration and test automation infrastructure. Help define and drive the code/test/documentation auto-generation tooling. - Define methodologies and best practices.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or computer science is required.