Battery Management System Lead Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming outstanding products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Are you interested to work on the forefront of Battery Management Systems? In this role you will develop future BMS technologies with a hardworking team of engineers in a highly reciprocal and multi-functional environment. The ideal individual has experience developing and commercializing robust battery management solutions for consumer, industrial, telecom or automotive products. Be a part of a team developing new class of battery systems to improve the utility of batteries!
- 5 to 10 years of experience in innovative and creative product development in battery management domain.
- Proven experience of developing battery management solutions using latest embedded controllers and mixed signal peripherals.
- Experience with customer interfacing to understand their system, requirements, and problems to define a system level solution.
- Experience in demonstrating leadership in collaborative environments with multiple internal and external technology partners.
- Experienced in developing engineering requirement specification for BMS systems and the functional decomposition into BMW HW, FW, SW, IC solutions.
- Experienced in working with silicon teams to drive BMS hardware requirements/specifications, architecture/feature trade-offs and design compliance.
- Familiar with battery management algorithms and their interaction with HW, FW, application platform systems, and manufacturing practices.
- Familiarity with detailed workings of different battery chemistries and their limitations.
- Familiarity with battery models and simulation tools like Matlab is a plus.
The system group within the Battery Management System (BMS) organization is a critical and collaborative team that bridges the domain/knowledge gap between the application platform and the technology teams to define and deliver a BMS that enables the application to achieve world class control on energy and power throughout the entire product life-cycle. The system group team members will engage in: 1. Translating a deep comprehension of the application system’s challenges, problems, and roadmap into the BMS domain that includes algorithm, firmware, and hardware 2. Driving the convergence of a BMS architecture among the different technology components stakeholders and synthesizing sub-system requirements and specifications 3. Synthesizing BMS roadmap, architecture, and system designs that are solutions to both identified and foreseeable application platform problems 4. Leading cross-functional teams to execute the roadmap and validating the BMS system before delivery to the application 5. Identifying the right problems to solve longer term R&D Within the BMS system group, the lead system engineer is responsible for the BMS within an application platform. The system engineer will simultaneously lead the development and integration on the next generation product, define the roadmap for following product, and innovate the architecture of future products. The lead system engineer will be work closely with system technology engineers and domain technology teams within the BMS organization.
Education & Experience
MS or PHD desired in Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Strong aptitude towards detailed and rigorous work emphasizing on simple and elegant designs for mass production. Ability to translate customer problems/issues into BMS system design. Strong presentation and leadership skills. Ability to develop reciprocal networks among peers and multi-functional teams quickly. Excellent written and verbal communication and social skills. Self-starter with excellent time management skills and visionary spirit. Relies on data to support technical decisions. Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities expected.