mmWave IC Design Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Would you like to part of Apple’s fast-growing mmWave and cellular wireless design team? We are responsible for all aspects of mmWave and cellular silicon development with a particular emphasis on highly integrated and efficient designs and technologies that transform the user experience at the product level. As a millimeter-wave IC design engineer, you will be the owner of providing circuit and system solutions for multi-gigabit wireless chips. Do you want to be in a highly visible role at the center of a silicon design group, and make a critical impact on getting functional products to hundreds of millions of customers quickly? We have multiple needs and are open to multiple experience levels.
- We would like you to have a proven track record of mmWave, RF, and analog integrated circuit design, with some experience in mmWave CMOS or SiGe circuit design.
- Deep understanding in system specification and the ability to work with system architects to translate system requirement into circuit requirement at IC level. Familiarity with various RF transceiver architectures and their trade-offs is critical to have.
- Deep understanding of fundamental microwave theories and concepts, such as transmission-lines concepts, power waves and scattering parameters, power gain expressions, gain, noise, and VSWR design trade-offs.
- Extensive experience in simulation and design of lumped and distributed passive structures, such CPW lines, coupled lines, directional couplers, dividers/combiners, phase shifters, inductors, and capacitors.
- Solid experience in analysis, design, and implementation of mmWave low-noise, broadband, and/or high-power amplifiers, as well as frequency converting blocks and oscillators.
- Understanding of mmWave device modeling; insights into packaging effects, integrated antenna arrays, supply isolations, high frequency ESD structures, and circuit layout for optimum performance.
- Hands-on experience in high frequency silicon characterization and debug would be helpful.
As a mmWave Design Engineer at Apple, you will utilize your vast background in circuit design and be responsible for providing mmW design solutions for wireless chips. The responsibilities include: - Collaborate with platform architects, system group, and digital design group to define the requirements for mmWave phased-array front-end and baseband blocks based on the product requirements. - Work with technology team and foundries on process evaluation/selection for the target device. - Design various transceiver blocks in TX, RX, and LX chains. - Work with the design, layout, and chip integration teams to integrate the IP’s and verify the top-level functionality and performance. - Work with mmWave test engineers to bring up and characterize chips.
Education & Experience
MSEE is required; PhD would be an advantage.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.