Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience so Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. The Apple Watch acoustics integration team is looking for someone to help us innovate, define and execute the next generation of acoustic designs for the Apple Watch. Our team has comprehensive ownership of the full system acoustic performance all the way from concept phase to mass production. This means continuous and multi-functional collaboration with a wide variety of teams ranging from transducer design and audio tunings, to system hardware, software, mechanics, quality and reliability. We are looking for someone who enjoys collaboration with high initiative to help us advance our fully custom designs that are strong enough to survive Apple’s harshest reliability specs and small enough to fit on your wrist.
- Are you experienced in acoustics in an engineering role producing high-volume consumer electronics? We highly value one or more of the following audio experience: audio electronics, audio transducer design, experience with methods for perceptual and subjective audio quality evaluation, audio electronics, acoustic test measurement and data interpretation/analysis. We welcome your experience working with off-shore manufacturers.
- Ideally you will have a strong background (five+ years) in an acoustics engineering role within the audio consumer electronic industry.
- Proficient in audio signal processing
- Deep understanding in acoustic and structural resonance and vibration
- Proven success in the areas of design, manufacturing, and failure analysis of audio systems
- You may have a real passion for playing a musical instrument
- Experience with mass production and or shipping a consumer product
- Are you known as an accomplished communicator?
- Experienced with integration of speakers & microphones
An acoustic design engineer drives innovation and development of audio hardware for Apple products. This will include owning audio system architecture from concept to mass production and solving speaker and microphone acoustic integration challenges in a multi-functional team. Communicating audio and acoustic concepts/targets to project teams and management. Additionally, driving custom speaker and microphone design and optimization. We encourage creativity and developing new ideas through building prototypes and demos. International travel to support engineering activities (required, approximately 15%)
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics, or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in acoustic hardware design, we still want to hear from you.