Neural Engine HW Architect - Platform Architecture
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Do you love crafting elegant solutions to highly complex challenges? Are you a big-picture visionary who understands how each element affects all the others? At Apple, our Architecture group is responsible for connecting our hardware and software into one unified system. Join this team, and you’ll collaborate with engineers across Apple to design how all of our technologies work in unison. You’ll drive development of our renowned system-on-a-chip architecture and develop algorithms for platform power, performance, and thermal management. You’ll develop forward-looking prototype systems as well as build and deploy software development tools that will be distributed to the Apple engineering community. Join this team, and you’ll help build the seamless technology experiences we’re known for worldwide! The Platform Architecture team is looking for a Neural Engine HW Architect, who will help us build future Hardware platforms for intelligent mobile devices.
- Expertise and experience in machine learning algorithms, such as convolutional neural network, Transformer, classification/detection and their applications
- Expertise and experience in HW architecture, computer architecture, GPU architecture
- Experience in analyzing ML workloads on different HW architecture — profiling and identifying the performance bottleneck in the system, coming up with suggestions for performance improvement either at algorithm, SW and HW level.
- Understanding the system implications of aforementioned algorithms in terms of performance and power on a given HW architecture.
- Demonstrated programming skills in C++/C and Python
- Knowledge in image processing, camera pipeline, computational photography and natural language processing is a plus
- Knowledge in compiler is a plus
- Strong communication skills and ability to work across various groups
In this highly visible role, you’ll work with other architects building the next-generation Neural Engine — a custom HW engine behind iOS CoreML framework. As an architect, you’ll work with SW/applications team on driving future requirements on machine learning/computer vision applications, prototype them in C++/Python, write architecture spec, and work with HW design teams for implementation. Expertise in machine learning algorithms/applications.
Education & Experience
PhD in CS/EE specializing ML HW/SW co-design is desired. Master or B.S. degree with strong industry experience can be considered.