Embedded 5G/4G Cellular RF Software/Firmware Engineer
San Diego, California, United States
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what’s considered feasible? As part of a world class modem team, you’ll craft sophisticated leading-edge embedded firmware that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You’ll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you’ll help us innovate new wireless systems technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you’ll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. As a Wireless Firmware Engineer on the physical design team, you will be at the center of the embedded 5G/4G/multimode cellular firmware effort within a silicon design group responsible for designing and productizing state-of-the-art cellular SoCs. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of embedded software development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- Knowledge of mobile communications in 4G/5G 3GPP protocols and PHY layer radio aspects
- Knowledge of communication theory, Wireless standards, Radio architecture and Interfaces
- Experience with control of RF transceiver and RF front end components for 4G/5G data path processing
- Understanding of RF calibrations for gain error and techniques for compensating RF impairments.
- Understanding of design principles to meet tight real time deadlines a plus.
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles, and core computer science fundamentals.
- Excellent command of C and C++,and working experience with compilers, build and source code control tools.
- Working knowledge of computer architecture with particular emphasis on the HW/SW interfaces of wireless communication systems.
- Experience with using RF Test equipment for RF validation and debugging.
- Proficiency with debugging in embedded software systems. Familiarity with JTAG and ETM Trace tools.
• Specify, design, and implement the RF firmware architecture of a state-of-the-art mobile wireless communications system. • Design, develop and optimize the RF processing algorithms pertaining to transceiver, RF front end, antenna tuners and other RF components in a cellular system. • Implement RF device drivers and control software for RF transceivers and RF front end components with precise timing requirements. • Work with RF silicon designers to define RF transceiver architecture and supporting software computing requirements. • Work with systems and IC designers to optimize power optimization for all RF circuitry in the cellular system. • Work with cross functional teams to manage dependencies while driving the key Radio features.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or computer science is required.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- We promote innovation and new technology The people who work here have reinvented and defined entire industries with the Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod and a multitude of groundbreaking Accessories. We have done the same with services, including iTunes, the App Store, Apple Music, and Apple Pay. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices — strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. You should join us to help deliver the next amazing Apple product.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.