MEMS Microphone Signal Path Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience so Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. We are searching for a MEMS Microphone Signal Path Architect to join our team of dedicated and passionate engineers, and support our ability to analyze and develop the emerging technology. This individual will play a key role in specifying, developing, characterizing, and validating microphones and acoustic sensors. Applicant must have expertise in the electronic design of MEMS microphones and their performance metrics, as well as familiarity with audio ASIC architectures and manufacturing technologies.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience and proven track record in MEMS sensor hardware development. Direct experience with MEMS microphone signal path architecture preferred.
- Experience in ASIC architecture, design, characterization, and validation of MEMS sensors. Direct experience with MEMS microphone sensor preferred.
- Proficient in the theory of operation, signal processing, fabrication, packaging and design trade-offs of MEMS sensors. Direct experience with MEMS microphones preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in physics, mechanical, electrical, and material science engineering, and manufacturing technology relevant for MEMS sensor fabrication.
- Expertise in signal path simulation, data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and solid teamwork and leadership skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel are required.
Define microphone sensor specifications and qualification requirements. Review and approve verification results. Scope new acoustic sensing technologies and proof-of-concept investigations, including modeling of new concepts and signal path architectures. Analyze trade-offs among performance, reliability, manufacturability, size, and schedule. Identify, create, and document new sensing system metrics that deliver performance pertinent to user experience. Interact with suppliers and drive acoustic sensor designs to enable new and improved user experience. Diagnose engineering issues with scientific method driving to definitive root cause. Develop and execute measurement methods to validate sensor performance. Prepare and deliver presentations to clearly communicate technical status, risks and mitigation strategies for acoustic sensor projects. Travel to supplier facilities and manufacturing sites for production validation and issues resolution.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in physics and electrical engineering or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in sensor engineering, we still want to hear from you.