Audio System Tuning Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience. Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Audio System Tuning team is looking for an Audio Tuning Specialist to ensure the correct marriage between audio software and acoustic hardware in Apple’s HW devices. The successful candidate will be responsible for all audio tuning in various iOS, OSX and Wireless device products, including those affecting speech in Telephony and FaceTime applications.
- Algorithmic signal processing approaches for audio applications, such as microphone beam-forming, multi-band compression, equalization, noise suppression
- Physical and room acoustics
- Knowledge of Beam Forming techniques in Audio applications
- Tuning of echo cancellation algorithms, providing the correct tradeoff between echo return loss and double talk performance, and speech intelligibility.
- Dynamic range control and compression, providing the best compromise between loudness and audio quality.
- Verification that products meet all relevant operator, national and international certification (including 3GPP, CTIA, and other operator-specific requirements) and regulatory criteria criteria.
- Actively participate in preparation of subjective tests and validation plans
- Benefit from experience with audio signal analysis in MATLAB or similar audio analysis tools
- Be experienced with standard audio measurement tools, e.g. SoundCheck, Audio Precision, HEAD Acoustics ACQUA, Rohde & Schwartz CMW500, Rohde & Schwartz UPV/UPL or similar
- Knowledge on transducers and their Acoustic integration is needed
The candidate will be a member of Acoustic Hardware Team, and work day-to-day with the Audio Project Lead Engineer and DSP algorithm teams. This role will require attention to details and excellent HW / SW debugging skills. You will be interacting with different teams at Apple, and as such, you should have great communication and collaboration skills. You will tune, optimize and listen to different internally developed algorithms for Apple HW with focus on advanced BF techniques. This role might require some international traveling as well. Apple delivers world class products and Audio should just makes these products even better with superb sound.
Education & Experience
BSc in Electrical/Acoustic Engineering with five years of experience or MSc in Electrical/Acoustic Engineering with three years of experience.