Senior Linux DevOps Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! You will work with a highly skilled engineering team in the design, implementation and support of operating system technologies supporting Big Data applications like Hadoop, Kafka, Cassandra to engineer & Deliver cohesive infrastructure needs for our internal Infrastructure Systems Engineering customers. This individual will be responsible for selecting operating systems and versions, developing our future platform strategy, managing and building releases and packages, and improving performance and stability. A strong background in system optimization, hardware/software tuning, and system level debugging is required.
- Build, Automate and support mission critical infrastructure supporting applications leveraged across IS&T and ISO.
- Manage different automation pipelines in BigData ecosystem, including provision, orchestration, self-service tooling, monitoring & compliance.
- Manage/Support ~30k systems across the fleet.
- Help with our team’s initiative for promoting automation and self-service tools for service democratization and enforcing responsibilities with respective app teams.
- Responsible for enforcing standards and validating the licensing, IT governance/compliance audit needs in BigData ecosystem.
- A genuine passion for operating system technologies.
- Extensive Linux experience, especially with RHEL and compatible systems like CentOS etc.
- Strong debugging skills a must. Familiarity with kernel debugging a plus.
- Detailed knowledge of hardware and tuning to meet specific performance goals for applications.
- Practical experience with compilers, linkers, and source code management utilities.
- Solid knowledge of the operating system networking stack, TCP and UDP, and network interface drivers.
- Ability to work with a diverse team and influence others and build consensus.
- Programming skills (especially Python, Go, Perl, Shell scripting etc)
- Automation and config management skills using Ansible, Puppet etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with revision control systems like GitHub, CI/CD unit testing, and configuration management systems.
You will work with a highly skilled engineering team in the design, implementation and support of operating system technologies supporting Big Data applications like Hadoop , Kafka, Cassandra to engineer & Deliver cohesive infrastructure needs for our internal Infrastructure Systems Engineering customers. Build and Troubleshoot linux production systems at scale. Multi-datacenter deployment and supporting a large scale Linux environment with heterogeneous hardware. Create automation tools and scripts & tools using bash, Python, Go and Ruby. Design and support orchestration pipeline using Ansible and Puppet. Familiarity with Hadoop and its ecosystem Hive, Pig, Spark, HDFS, HBase, Oozie, Zookeeper etc. Troubleshoot and address issues with UNIX and TCP/IP network stack components. Design and support Linux systems (RedHat/OEL/CentOS etc) including automated OS installation, software compilation, package management, virtualization technologies like KVM, OS lifecycle management, diagnostic and performance troubleshooting/profiling.
Education & Experience
BS degree in computer science or equivalent field.
- Some travel (<15%) required to remote teams and data center facilities
- Preferred candidates will have experience with…
- - Cloudera, Hortonworks, MapR, Ambari, Cloudera Manager, Kafka, Cassandra, Puppet, Ansible, Kerberos,
- - SDN, Docker, Kubernetes, Serverless Computing
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.