Senior Optical Designer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple is looking for an enthusiastic optical engineer/designer with expertise in vision science.
- Experience in the field of optics with a strong emphasis on shepherding devices through iterative stages of design/modeling, fabrication, bench assessment/metrology, and field assessment.
- Experience in the identification and/or development of novel metrics/figures of merit for visual performance.
- Strong working knowledge of optical metrology methods and instrumentation. Experience developing novel instruments and/or methods for both objective assessment of optics and simulating visual experience is ideal.
- Working knowledge of lens manufacturing methods (e.g. cast molding, injection molding, free-form surface generation, diamond turning, physical vapor deposition, etc.)
- Proficiency in one or more scientific computer languages (e.g. Matlab, Mathematica, C/C++/C#, Python, etc.) for the design and modeling optical systems. Experience in commercial optical design software tools (e.g. LightTools, Zemax, etc. ) is ideal.
- Creative/analytical & critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the development of novel optical systems. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation in the interdisciplinary areas of optical design and testing, device fabrication, display technologies, image processing, and color and vision sciences.
Education & Experience
M.S./Ph.D. in optical engineering, vision science or a related field Or B.S. with 3+ years proven experience