Security Researcher, Platform Architecture
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Are you a big-picture visionary who understands how each element affects all the others? At Apple, our Platform Architecture group is responsible for connecting our hardware, software, and servers into one unified system. You’ll join a team of engineers who are dedicated to securing the world’s most advanced consumer devices! Help Apple secure the world’s most advanced consumer devices which people trust to store their personal and professional data. We believe that the best defense is a good offense, and that that means finding vulnerabilities before the community does. We're looking for talented and inspired individuals to form part of a crack group of security engineers to attack Apple's products, with the goal of better safeguarding our users. This team will focus on breaking security mechanisms whose foundations are anchored in hardware and are used by low level software to thwart advanced techniques used to compromise embedded systems.
- Working experience with modern SoCs and security sensitive aspects of their architecture
- Ability to find security vulnerabilities through static and dynamic analysis
- Familiarity with Verilog and HW Design
- Programming background in C, C++, Python
- Familiarity with assembly and ARM instruction set
- Proficiency in real time operating system internals
- Good understanding of the principles and use of cryptographic primitives and protocols
- An understanding of fault injection and side channel attacks
- An understanding of past, current, and emerging security exploit types
- Reverse engineering capabilities + working knowledge in IDA
- Familiarity with secure bootloaders
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
Customers’ security, privacy, and safety are very important to Apple. Your job will be to analyze our products and attempt to break them in ways that could undermine these goals, including when the attacker is in possession of the Apple device. In order to do that, you will be required to: Take a system or sub-system and find ways to overcome the defense mechanisms that have been implemented in hardware and low-level software. Examine new Apple silicon security features and prove if/how they can be defeated. Examine embedded systems and find security vulnerabilities in Apple or 3rd party silicon and firmware, including in the interfaces between components. Analyze a system to understand the potential threats and attack vectors Stay abreast of modern hacking techniques against Apple products, including those where the attacker is in close proximity or possession of the device.
Education & Experience
Bachelor/Masters in Engineering/Computer Science, and/or proven track record as a security researcher/analyst.