Postgres Database Engineer
Austin, Texas, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that encourages the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. This team provides database solutions to Maps, Siri, Music, iCloud, App Store, Hardware, and Software Engineering. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norms here. We enable engineers to build extraordinary products.
- 5+ years supporting Postgres databases in a high volume, customer-facing environment.
- Must have experience in AWS (RDS/EC2)
- Strong experience in optimizing and performance tuning of PostGres including drill-down analysis
- Hands-on experience in configuring and supporting replication
- Background in building large database infrastructure supporting a high volume of transactions in a high-demand environment
- Extraordinary experience administering multi-terabyte databases
- Knowledge of MySQL is desirable
- Proficiency with SQL, Shell, Python /Perl, GO languages
- Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively across multiple business and technical teams
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, tight deadline delivery timeline
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies
- Ambitious, highly motivated, innovative and have a consistent track record of running multiple production environments for large user base
- Detail-oriented, enthusiastic, and have strong analytical skills
- Self starter, forward-thinking person with strong leadership capabilities
- Experience in Kubernetes will be a plus
- Out of the box thinking. Must be able to think of multiple solutions to the same problem.
We are looking to hire extraordinary individuals to join the Global Data Services team to lead the Postgres database platform. In this role, you will help build and run the RDBMS platform that delivers Apple services to all of its customers worldwide and help us create the Apple experience on a global scale. The expectations of the job position would be: You will be responsible for the administration of production, QA, and development database infrastructure Data Services: Provide database architecture and design solutions. Database Infrastructure Setup, Configuration, upgrading/Patching, Monitoring and troubleshooting Build the automation scripts for database infrastructure Implementing standard methodologies for DR and Backups Measurement and optimization of system performance Capacity planning and forecast management Participate in new technology/feature evaluation, design, and development of highly scalable distributed databases Be able to do performance benchmarking between either two versions of the same database technology or two different database technologies Manage the databases deployed in Cloud Infrastructure including AWS and Kubernetes
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science / Engineering or Equivalent.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate