Imaging & Sensing Incubation, Mechanical Engineer, Product Design and Prototyping for ML
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Design, prototype, and build systems for data collection for next-generation technologies Imaging and Sensing Incubation team develops data collection and user experience systems to help develop new technologies that are central to Apple’s products, including the iPhone, iPad, watch, MacBooks, and more. Our team plays a key role in creating early systems that integrate new technology and are used to collect data to enable new feature development. New challenges arise every day that require the sharp analytical skills of talented and smart individuals. We have a collaborative, inclusive, and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. Come, join us in crafting best-in-class solutions!
- Strong background and experience in mechanical design, prototyping, thermal design, and system design.
- 3D CAD experience required, NX preferred.
- Scientific method, experimental process, root cause analysis, tolerance analysis.
- Excellent critical thinking, and logic/reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and people skills; ability to interact with management, team members and external vendors.
- Experience with applied knowledge in flex circuits, printed circuit boards, material science, basic physics and basic chemistry is beneficial.
- Experience with camera technology is a strong plus.
- Experience with 3D printer, laser cutter, rapid prototyping equipment, and other machine tools is a plus.
- Knowledge of common manufacturing processes and designing for manufacturability.
You will be responsible for end to end product design cycle including setting requirements, ideation, defining specifications, detail design, prototype, fabrication, and low volume system build to integrate new technologies into systems to enable early data collection. • We brainstorm, design and implement infrastructure for characterization, validation, and data collection of new camera and sensor technologies to enable algorithm development. • You will participate in generating innovative ideas and design solutions with cross-functional teams. • Your responsibility will include developing mechanical design of the system using 3D CAD, creating prototypes, working with machine shops for fabrication, assembly or supporting assembly bring up, creating thermal solutions, design validation, and failure analysis. • You will communicate cross-functionally on design requirements and assume key product design roles to develop a collaborative design. • You will engage and collaborate with cross-functional teams such as EE, firmware, software, and user studies as we work together to develop data collection systems. • Most our builds are local but some travel might be needed. • Up to 10% travel may be required.
Education & Experience
• BSME required; MSME preferred • Experience in consumer electronics preferred
- Apple’s most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programmes. We’re proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount — both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company’s success. You’ll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programmes that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products.
- Apple benefits programmes vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace