Product Safety Engineer, Biomechanics
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here! Do you care about how products perform, what makes them fabulous yet ensures they’re safe and user-friendly in the deepest sense? Do you ever consider what care, attention, and intention gets put into Apple’s products that upholds user trust and confidence? The engineering team in Apple’s cutting-edge Product Safety department is responsible for ensuring all products we release meet international safety standards and regulations, but also meet those requirements that befit Apple’s brand and highest expectations. This position is offered in Apple's Product Safety Engineering department within Apple's Product Integrity organization. Our mission is to ensure that Apple products are safe for use throughout the world and also comply with worldwide safety requirements. We’re looking for a seasoned Product Safety Engineer with relevant expertise and industry experience in biomechanics.
- We are looking for a product safety professional with 5 to proven experience in applying fundamentals of biomechanics to perform risk of injury evaluations on human machine interfaces to help develop world class products.
- You have experience on soft tissue and bone injury thresholds and models.
- You have experience with empirical test setup, execution, and associated test instrumentation. Experience with anthropomorphic device testing preferred.
- You have experience with relevant biomechanical modeling and simulation tools.
- You ideally have experience in conducting dFMEA or pFMEA and Safety fault tree analyses.
- Possess outstanding communication skills, both spoken and written; strong teamwork skills, and ability to communicate across varied audiences.
- Technical ability and judgment to interpret requirements, apply standards, and relate knowledge to situations and challenges to develop solutions.
- Experience in working with vendors and third-party bodies/agencies to develop, evaluate, validate, and qualify new designs or bring to commercialization.
In this role, you will apply your understanding of biomechanics towards the qualification, evaluation, and commercialization of Apple’s world-class products. We will be relying on your expertise to develop, refine, and execute Safety test plans and qualifications needed to evaluate design conformance to Apple specifications. This is a highly cross functional role where you can influence and advise our core product teams on potential safety risks, associated mitigations, drive FMEAs to set the course for new designs. We look up to your expertise in biomechanics to facilitate risk assessments, conduct failure analyses to determine failures modes and root causes.
Education & Experience
- M.S./PhD in Biomechanical or Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent experience)