Data Governance & Management Leader - Ad Platforms Engineering
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in the App Store. Our platforms are highly performant, deployed at scale, and set new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy! The Ad Platforms Engineering team is seeking a leader to take our data governance and management capabilities to the next level. This leader will be accountable for defining data governance strategy for a set of products that are differentiated on their privacy properties, and delivery of our next-generation data warehousing capabilities. In this role you will work as a technical manager of a data engineering team driving the development, execution, and continuous improvement of new and existing policies, capabilities, and process. You will directly enable both our core products and our internal teams of analysts, business users, and data scientists.
- Background in computer science, mathematics, or similar quantitative field with a minimum of 8 years professional experience
- The ability to manage, cultivate, and grow teams of engineers and analysts
- Understanding of modern data architectures, developments, and are aware of what other leading players are doing
- Value-driven approach to data management while delivering on our privacy commitments
- You have delivered innovative approaches in data governance
- Experience with the practical application of data warehousing concepts, methodologies, and frameworks using various (SparkSQL, Hadoop, Kafka, Snowflake, Vertica) distributed technologies
- Experience with platform approaches to data architecture at scale and supporting data science teams
- Experience with and ability to differentiate multiple file formats including Avro, SequenceFile, JSON, Parquet, and ORC a plus
- SparkSQL, Hive, Athena, Druid, Presto, Cassandra, or other big data query engine experience a plus
- Advanced skills using one or more scripting languages (e.g., Python, bash, etc.) a plus
- Experience with applying data encryption and data security standards
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a business-focused audience
- A passion to reinforce and enrich an engineering team culture driving team engagement and satisfaction
- Most importantly, a sense of humor and an eagerness to learn!
At Ad Platforms, we are constantly building and deploying new experiences designed to provide amazing user experiences for our customers and drive value. We are looking for you to guide the evolution of our data management team to meet the challenges of growing scale and complexity in what we deliver. - Are you passionate about defining and instituting privacy centric data management capabilities? - Own the design and instantiation of a privacy first data warehouse capability to enable online and offline consumption of data by various partners. - Define and institute best practices in storage, governance, processing, copy/synchronization, lifecycle management, etc. appropriate to the scale and maturity of our products. - Work with cross functional teams to prototype new concepts and deliver end-to-end systems in an agile setting. - Produce high quality processes that lead to the productive use of data systems with excellent reliability and scalability. - Requires a strong understanding of the intersection between business, analytics, and engineering resulting in a proactive approach, focusing on reusable solutions, to improve efficiency and time to insight. - Must be able to work in a rapidly changing environment and perform optimally in a sprint-based, agile development environment.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, Master's Degree in Computer Science or other Engineering field strongly desired