Boulder, Colorado, United States
The panel process and optics (PPO) team designs and develops the cutting edge display technologies to support Apple’s phenomenal product pipeline. This includes the optimization & integration of display materials, optics, and process to deliver superior display optical & mechanical performances. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. As part of Apple PPO’s research and development team, you will be working with some of the smartest and most talented people in the field, and will be contributing to exciting new products that will touch lives of millions and enrich your career with invaluable experience. We are looking for a Junior Chemist with a background on chemical quality control (QC) and material development. In particular, the incumbent will be providing technical support on executing and developing standard operating procedures (SOPs) for analytical techniques such as titration, chromatography, and spectroscopy to qualify the raw material QC on a regular basis. In addition, the ideal candidate should have experience and working knowledge on liquid formulation design of experiments (DOE) and optical property characterization to support the material development activities led by the senior scientists. Lastly, a successful candidate must be a high-energy tactical execution expert and a team player, with a friendly can-do attitude and a strong sense of urgency.
- >2 years of experience in analytical chemistry, liquid formulation DOE, and material characterization in a R&D, manufacturing or similar environment
- Experience with raw material QC using different analytical tools and the existing SOPs
- Familiarity with liquid formulation mixing, polymer film preparation, and chemical and optical property characterization
- Participate in failure analysis and root cause investigation using different analytical techniques
- Troubleshoot the analytical instruments when needed
- Strong written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong multi-tasking, problem solving, and time management skills
Perform routine QC analyses of raw materials using analytical instruments such as titrations, spectroscopy, spectrometry, and chromatography following multi-step standard operating procedures (SOPs) Execute liquid formulation and film sample preparation, collect material characterization data, document results, and conduct basic data analysis to support the senior scientists Maintain the analytical instruments to ensure smooth workflow in the lab Perform all duties with a high degree of dedication and adherence to safety and environmental stewardship
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science preferred
- Preferred Qualifications
- College level education in chemistry / materials science
- Experience with developing analytical methods for different techniques such as HPLC, GC-MS, NMR, UV-Vis spectroscopy, FTIR / Raman spectroscopy, and titration
- Sufficient knowledge on DOE method to determine the relationship between liquid formulation composition / processing parameters and the chemical / optical properties of the final materials
- Experience with measuring the optical properties of polymeric materials such as scatter, absorption, transmission, dispersion, and photoluminescence
- Proficient in Excel, JMP, Origin and have the ability to learn new data analysis tools quickly
- If you are a Colorado resident, this is for you:
- At Apple, we see the whole you. We carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. Junior Chemist starts at a minimum annual salary of $79,900. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Every Apple employee also has the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder, because all team members are eligible for stock grants and also a discount when purchasing Apple stock.
- We offer all kinds of ways to experience well-being, confidence, and satisfaction. Learn more about Apple benefits.
- Note: Apple benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.