Boulder, Colorado, United States
The panel process and optics (PPO) team crafts and develops groundbreaking display technologies to support Apple’s phenomenal product line. This includes total optimization & integration of display materials, optical systems, and processes to deliver outstanding optical, mechanical, and reliability performances. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that cultivates engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation. As part of the Apple design and development team you will be working with some of the smartest and most hardworking people in the field, and will be chipping in to exciting new products that will touch the lives of millions and enrich your career with invaluable experience. We are looking for a skilled process engineer with a proven track record of process implementation, optimization, control and sustaining as applied to prototyping products that have groundbreaking optical applications. More specifically, we are looking for an engineer who has experience working with polymers and adhesives, dispense processes used in their application and the different types of systems used in their curing. It is a strong advantage for this candidate to have experience in tooling design for process cells, material carriers and sophisticated optical test systems. It would also be desirable to have experience in the use of optical test systems, data analysis and a background in process monitoring. More broadly, we are looking for an engineer who has experience working in a highly technical and highly flexible, low volume manufacturing environment. A successful candidate will work within a multi-functional team and with external vendors to design, develop, and support process and tooling development efforts for our next-generation processes and supporting tools/equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in process design and implementation utilizing Six Sigma concepts and LEAN concepts
- Direct experience in the manufacture of optical products, where transition from development into volume manufacturing occurred
- Responsible for or direct involvement in the standardization of documentation transitioning from development into a manufacturing environment
- Experienced in optical molding of polymers holding tolerances critical to efficient performance in an optical system
- Experienced in the application and use of optical test systems for defining and monitoring key performance characteristics
- Experience in glass processing techniques and methods of process monitoring and control
- Experience in fundamental failure analysis methodology to derive a root cause of failure
- Knowledge of solid modeling tools and engineering documentation
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid teamwork and leadership skills
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Optimize design of multilayer lamination processes involving glass and polymer optical components, optical instrument optimization and process development - Assist team in defining critical characteristics for prototype product and assembly line processes, identifying sources of variation, methods for control of identified variation leading to performance improvements - Identify and source key equipment that enables more capable processes and/or higher capacities to meet Apple’s business plans - Design, fabricate and qualify part carriers to enable capacity improvements on the prototype assembly line - Design, fabricate and qualify equipment interface tooling that enables more capable processes, better ergonomics and/or higher efficiency - Design, fabricate and qualify upgrades to equipment that expand the equipment’s capabilities - Identify and source measurement methods for verifying and controlling critical characteristics and verifying defined specifications based on prototype definition - Utilizing statistical methods to analyze multiple process cells, pulling data from those cells and perform analysis to control sources of variation - Develop and validate Critical-to-Quality (CTQ) metrics and quantitative analytical methods to determine incoming and outgoing quality levels for raw materials and finished goods - Correlate process level data to final component/system performances to define materials-level and in-process specifications - Work with the R&D team to make changes to software to optimize and acquire efficiencies in various test steps - Assist team in recording critical characteristics for prototype product and assembly line processes - Learn and act as a backup for maintenance of the Proto-Assembly Database - Write operational documentation (SOP) and perform training
Education & Experience
B.S. degree or M.S. degree, in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent by experience
- If you are a Colorado resident, this is for you:
- At Apple, we see the whole you. We carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. Process Engineer starts at a minimum annual salary of $91,800. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Every Apple employee also has the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder, because all team members are eligible for stock grants and also a discount when purchasing Apple stock.
- We offer all kinds of ways to experience well-being, confidence, and satisfaction. Learn more about Apple benefits.
- Note: Apple benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.