Job Description - Backend Platform/Data Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Are you passionate about applying your deep understanding of Java/Python, Internet-scale distributed systems, data platform and machine learning technologies in creative ways? We at Apple’s iCloud Mail team are searching for an excellent Software Engineer that can play a role in continuously innovating on iCloud Mail experience. The iCloud Mail engineering team is responsible for building cutting edge infrastructure that supports our production mail service used by millions of users, sending billions of messages on a daily basis. The tasks include design, development, testing, deployment and support of mail infrastructure components focused on customized mail experiences, anti-abuse, using big data, machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies.
- Minimum of 5+ years experience designing, implementing, and supporting highly scalable applications
- Excellent Java or Python development and debugging skills
- Proficient in building highly scalable real time services based on REST/gPRC
- Proficient in Event-driven architecture and messaging frameworks (Pub/Sub, Kafka, and/or RabbitMQ)
- Proficient in large scale data platform and data processing system such as Hadoop and Spark
- Proficient in designing, building, and maintaining large-scale, high-performance systems and frameworks.
- Proficient in various data stores: SQL, NoSQL, and/or key-value store
- Knowledge and experience building applied ML based applications highly preferred
- Ability to wear multiple hats, do whatever it takes ability and attitude.
- Nice to Have. Objective-C, some prior experience building iOS Apps.
Consider joining a small team writing the software which provides mail services to iCloud customers. We are looking for an extremely capable engineer who has a strong background in building high-performance, scalable and extensible systems using big data technologies. In addition to crafting efficient, testable, easy-to-maintain code, you recognize the importance of writing functional specifications and design documents. Quality is number one in your mind, and you thrive on building comprehensive unit and end-to-end tests, not only for features you build but also for existing features that need more testing. In this highly visible position, the successful candidate will enhance existing mail systems while collaborating with cross-functional engineering teams, and also implement new customized mail experiences, in addition to preventing abuse of the system.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Excellent collaborative skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a loosely structured organization
- Highly professional, with the ability to deliver solid work on tight schedule
- Understanding of internet mail systems a plus