Display Backlight Power Engineer/Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
This is an excellent opportunity to work on the forefront of display backlight power technologies with the outstanding company consistently bringing innovations in the industry. In this position, you will be part of pride developing innovative designs, which are implemented in products used by millions of people. The position primarily involves display module backlight control design and development for Apple’s next generation products spanning from iPad, notebook computers, desktop computers, servers and standalone displays. Join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet. To be successful, you should thrive in a multifaceted, agile, multi-disciplinary, and hands-on environment that values engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation.
- Candidate must have direct experience of power supply design and possess deep knowledge of DC-DC power conversion topologies including analog and digital controls.
- Candidate must be intimately familiar with DC-DC voltage regulator chip architectures, magnetic design, PCB layout and state-of the art techniques for integration and efficiency optimizations.
- Proven tracking record on system power architecture definition and development. Thorough understanding of power architecture choices, trade-offs and optimizations.
- Strong communication skills and ability present and work with cross-functional teams is extremely important
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to guide critical decisions
- Must possess good understanding of thermals, mechanical and packaging challenges. Must possess knowledge of high volume manufacturing technologies and production variance.
- Must be able to use of Spice based simulation tools, Cadence Orcad schematic capture, Allegro PCB, Lab View, Matlab, MathCad and excel mathematical analysis.
- Must be highly motivated, self-starter with innovation, integrity and attention to details.
- Capable of working in fast paced innovative work environment
- Ideal candidate will have work experience in power management semiconductor/silicon companies with focus in display backlight technologies.
- Must be willing to travel overseas as needed to support projects. Maximum of 25% travel time per calendar year is expected.
1. Participate in core architecture definition and investigation while working closely with Apple cross-functional partners. 2. Provide backlight design simulation, calculation and analytical models for prediction of design concept outcome including control loop stability, transient responses, layout analysis and parasitic extractions. 3. Work on display backlight driver circuit design including schematic, BOM and PCB layout. 4. Use schematic capture, BOM generation and Spice based simulation tools. 5. Work closely with system hardware team for backlight driver designs integration, simulations and system level validation. 6. Test/validate prototypes and publish results, document multi-dimensional activities. Hands-on work in lab is must. 7. Provide technical support and debug factory production issues. 8. Define next generation display backlight driver chip architecture, 9. Author display backlight driver custom chip specs, hardware specification, simulation test cases, characterization test plan, test Reports, etc.
Education & Experience
MSEE in power electronics with 6+ years experience is a MUST. PhD preferred.