Materials Engineer - Plastics
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The iPhone Materials Team is looking for an experienced plastic materials engineer.
- MS in organic chemistry, plastics engineering, chemical engineering or material science or requires 10+ years in the plastics industry.
- Extensive experience in plastic material properties, part design and fabrication required.
- Experience with injection molding process, tooling of thermoplastics required.
- Knowledge of plastic materials and design for manufacturing in terms of geometry and cosmetic quality.
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas vendors is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary.
- Domestic and International travel required.
- Lead the development of new plastic materials and processes to meet the structural and aesthetic requirements of a wide range of part designs. - Foster collaborative relationships with Apple suppliers in order to influence product development to meet material needs anticipated in future Apple product designs. - Leverage technical contacts and network with industry experts to discover new technologies, which could be applied to Apple designs for improved performance and differentiation. - Collaborate with product design and industrial design groups on material selection, design feasibility and aesthetics of new plastic part designs. Create data-rich material matrices to summarize advantages & disadvantages of candidate materials. - Identify and implement new materials that satisfy environmental goals of Apple Environmental Technologies Team. - Proficient with the use of Design For Manufacturing, SPC and Six Sigma techniques and visit factories to fully understand their capabilities, quality requirements and resolve difficult material-related issues.
Education & Experience
BS in Chemical Engineering, MS/PhD preferred