System Hardware Architect
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Architecture team. The position is as a highly multi-functional individual contributor, design engineer, and systems architect. The ideal candidate has core competencies and subject matter expertise in various aspects of computer systems & product design, and has successfully influenced decision-makers, product features, & the customer experience! The candidate will provide HW architectural guidance to x-functional engineering teams to establish new product definition requirements & commitments. The position requires the candidate to define, guide, and own aspects of system electrical architecture product definition. Experience is expected in analyzing key system trade-offs and proposing solutions including but not limited to: design of high performance / low power / high-quality products; guiding system electrical & mechanical layouts, feature integration feasibility; identifying enabling technologies; developing pre-net list PCB floorplan & stack-up feasibility considering component package & thermal design; navigating signal integrity, EMC, and RF challenges; power budgeting; negotiating x-functional stakeholder requirements. The position requires strong analytical, communication, persuasion, and negotiation skills.
- BS EE w/ 8 years; MS EE w/5 years overall experience in developing consumer products,
- Must have hands-on experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification, and manufacturing support.
- Ability to navigate compliance requirements (including EMC, Safety, and Environmental Engineering)
- Must have created and influenced system specification documents for electrical, power delivery, thermal, and physical fit requirements
- Ability to navigate hi-speed design and layout rules of modern interfaces
- Must have created, defined, and successfully presented material to upper management and influenced decision-makers
- Demonstrated innovative, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills; have proficient written, verbal, negotiation, and communication skills.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to engineering team members
- Preferred Tools experience
- Schematic Capture and Layout (Cadence Concept & Allegro, constraint management)
- PCB Simulation & Signal integrity tools; FPGA development
- Productivity (e.g., Keynote, Numbers, Pages; Powerpoint, Excel, Word; Omnigraffle)
- Analysis and Automation: Matlab, Simulink, Perl, Python, VBA
Provide System Architecture Guidance Work with Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Design to guide product system integration feasibility, feature & design trade-offs, early PCB floorplan and route studies Utilize schematic and layout tools such as Cadence Concept & Allegro; develop new and novel methods of pre-route guidance Predict & prepare for future product system integration & interconnect needs Guide system level and component level packaging and integration Lead early design team members during the architectural phase of product development. Review, challenge, & influence x-functional roadmaps. Negotiate design rules for system design, PCBA, and interconnect manufacturing Work with x-functional engineering managers and architects on HW/SW/MFG enabling technologies Create internal & external system specifications; keep current with technology trends & roadmaps Review, challenge, & influence system performance decisions Work with Performance engineers to define, simulate, and model product performance vs. power (performance per watt) Analyze and guide thermal management solutions and trade-offs Review, challenge, & influence people and process. Define, develop, and utilize tools, scripts, automation, and methods of system analysis Mentor junior engineers for best practices in systems development and institutionalized processes. Provide guidance and enthusiasm to negotiate development process & capabilities Be successful navigating ambiguity & x-functional organizational challenges; thrive in a demanding environment
Education & Experience
BS EE w/ 8 years; MS EE w/5 years overall experience