Site Reliability Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here! At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Do you bring passion and dedication to your job? If so, we are looking for individuals like you. The Retail Infrastructure team is responsible for building and supporting the core of our technology behind Retail's customer-facing interactive experiences with our products and Today at Apple. This role will operate and pioneer infrastructure, enabling software delivery, cutting edge support, and new DevOps maturity for a growing era of edge and Retail innovation.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, time management, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be capable of independent problem-solving and self-direction with an eye towards creating business value for our internal customers
- Solid grounding in build/release (CI/CD) pipelines, methodologies and tools (Jenkins, Spinnaker, Artifactory)
- Proven ability to write programs using a high-level programming language as well as modern application server frameworks (Ruby, Python, Go).
- Working knowledge of enterprise virtualization solutions (vSphere)
- Experience developing, administering and executing disaster recovery solutions
- Deep understanding of the Linux Operating System
- Experience with configuration management systems (Chef, Ansible) and provisioning systems
- Practical knowledge of network technologies, security and communication protocols including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, load balancing, firewalls, jump and proxy servers, network file systems, intrusion detection, secret stores, CDNs, and caching
- Background using Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, immutable infrastructure and related technologies in geographically dispersed production environments
- Experience administering and supporting RDMS and NoSQL databases
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using data and automation (e.g. Splunk, Rundeck, Stackstorm, Pulumi, etc)
- Demonstrated experience supporting RESTful, session based web applications using technologies such as Java, Ruby, Rails, Passenger, PHP, Python, NginX, etc
- Experience developing and tuning observability platforms and load generation tools in order to proactively identify and implement changes to ensure optimal application availability and performance
- Working knowledge of developing, building and maintaining RPM packages including the ability to read and modify Makefiles, Configure scripts, and compilation of C/C++ programs
- Knowledge of the X Window System, XOrg configuration and the Gnome Desktop Environment
- Ability to easily change priorities or manage multiple priorities as the business needs dictates
- Capable of taking part in a 24/7 on-call rotation and travel occasionally
Apple Retail Interactive Technology Infrastructure Team runs services that serve a large number of our customer experiences. Operating at our scale across multiple geographically dispersed points of presence and delivering on over a million customer experiences per day presents unique challenges. As an SRE @ Apple, you'll need to solve these problems using data, strategic internally developed platforms, and collaborative expertise. SREs @ Apple own the full infrastructure stack; from deploying operating systems and storage architectures to distribution management and continuous software delivery, our responsibilities are both broad and deep. Responsibilities: Manage, operate, and deliver automated capabilities for repeated resolution and deployment across our infrastructure. Deploy, support, and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks inclusive of both custom internet facing services supporting customer facing systems as well as internal business solutions. Architect, author, and deliver capabilities to improve the availability, scalability, and security of Apple's distributed retail interactive offerings.
Education & Experience
- This position is based on site in Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino, CA) or Austin, TX.