Insurance Regulatory Counsel
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Working for a company that invents entire categories and industries means you’ll be challenged to creatively apply your legal expertise to cutting-edge and often unexplored aspects of the law. As a part of Apple Legal, you’ll help uphold Apple’s high ethical and corporate standards, as well as defend our intellectual property. Working for a company that invents entire categories and industries means you’ll be challenged to creatively apply your legal expertise to rare and often unexplored aspects of the law. Together with your team, you’ll provide the critical support needed worldwide for all Apple products and businesses. We are seeking an attorney to provide insurance regulatory advice and counsel on complex insurance legal matters to join its legal team. The responsibilities of the position will include coordination of insurance licensing and product filings and management of other insurance regulatory matters, interaction with regulators, drafting of policies, terms and conditions and other governance documents, drafting and reviewing agency and other insurance-related, and other commercial agreements. The position may also involve supporting the Risk Management Department to ensure risk management/mitigation strategies are included in a wide variety of commercial agreements including leases, as well services and manufacturing agreements. Position reports to the Senior Corporate Insurance Attorney and is within the Corporate & Compliance Legal Department.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong insurance regulatory background with a consistent record of providing expert advice on routine and complex insurance matters, including product design and implementation
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements will be given preference, and experience in international commercial contracts is strongly preferred
- Ability to make sound business decisions quickly and in the face of ambiguity and uncertainty
- Strong command of the details of relevant laws and regulations, but with an ability to make these laws and regulations understandable and actionable for a business audience
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects with multiple teams simultaneously
- Ability to identify issues and propose and implement practical solutions quickly
- Strong communication, writing, presentation and organizational skills
- Desire to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment
- A creative problem solver who is open to new ideas and new approaches
- Must be a self-starter able to accomplish short and long-term organizational objectives with an opportunity for a wide range of independent work based on demonstrated ability.
- Effectively work in a team environment, closely collaborate and provide team support with peers across legal, compliance and other control functions
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience with a top-tier international law firm or in-house at top multinational (public company) is preferred
- The position is based in the Cupertino, CA area. Some domestic and international travel is required for this position.
Apple is seeking an attorney with 8-10 years of insurance regulatory experience to join its legal team. This position will involve assisting various business units, legal groups and Risk Management in insurance and risk management matters. The position requires the attorney to provide expert advice on routine and complex insurance regulatory matters including the ability to: draft necessary legal documents and develop conclusions and make recommendations; actively identify and logically assesses potential legal risks in both routine and ambiguous, unique and/or complex business situations; manage and negotiate contracts; lead and oversee insurance policy rate and form filings; oversee preparation of other regulatory filings; partner and interact with insurance partner and insurance regulators; when necessary; oversee monitoring of insurance laws and insurance regulatory actions. The position requires regular attendance at business partner meetings to better understand business processes and goals. The position requires keeping senior leaders informed on development and upcoming tasks along with liaising with outside counsel when necessary, including reviewing the engagement, work product and associated billings. The successful candidate will be able to provide practical legal and business advice with regard to a wide variety of legal issues that arise in the context of insurance and risk management matters; quickly identify, analyze and propose solutions to legal and business issues; partner with business clients to support business objectives in a manner consistent with applicable law and corporate risk tolerance; and be a strong team player who is proactive, detail oriented, and able to constantly prioritize while handling multiple tasks.
Education & Experience
Must have a JD degree or equivalent and possess excellent academic credentials. Must be a member in good standing of the bar.