Structures Manufacturing Engineer - SPG
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Apple Special Projects Group (SPG) is seeking a senior hands on manufacturing engineer to support our structures design team. You will be responsible for growing the in house team of manufacturing engineers responsible for feasibility studies, assembly strategies and process’, supplier engagement, and ultimately delivering a fully validated system ready for volume production. You will collaborate closely with a variety of product development teams to ensure designs are implemented, verified, and validated according to system requirements and performance targets. You will work in a startup-like environment where products are still being defined and developed, giving you the chance to influence some of the core technologies used by the project. You will be required to create a long term manufacturing roadmap, develop and document process’ and standards. You will be part of every stage of development from concept to deployment. If you're passionate about the user experience, want to be part of a group that works on very early stage products, have the opportunity to shape them, and relish the opportunity to deliver the next amazing Apple product, we may be the team for you!
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in manufacturing engineering of mixed material structures: Aluminum, Steel, Composites.
- Exposure to the full range of manufacturing analysis and simulation tools needed to produce complex parts and assemblies.
- Experience launching multiple projects from concept to high volume production production.
- Experience within mixed material joining technology for high volume production.
- Experience working in a team environment and being self-motivated to identify and close design issues.
- Ability to articulate design issues, and define paths to resolution both verbally and with documentation
- Experience working with domestic and overseas manufacturers preferred.
- Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment.
In this role, you will lead the planning and executing of the product lifecycle ranging from development builds and up to product ramps. Lead the product development stages to ensure feasible forming, joining and assembly solutions for all structures. Work closely with internal and external teams to manage schedule, capacity, material availability, quality issues, and product updates. Manage Virtual manufacturing projects with cost/benefit analysis and timelines. Maintenance and change management of manufacturing BOM, joining data and datum schemes. Analyze and create work methods and practices for planning of manual and automated production processes. Balance component readiness to ensure part availability, quality and cost. Communicate requirements and schedules to facilitate technical readiness with supply chain teams. Influence product manufacturability, testability, and supply chain responsiveness in pursuit of low cost and flexibility while stewarding quality. Leading all communications, upward and downward through the organization; raising key issues and options for resolution with executive teams.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or Masters in Mechanical Engineering or applicable fields
- NX, Teamcenter, PPAP
- Minimum of 10 years of manufacturing experience in either electronics, aerospace, or similar industry and 3 years as a lead.