XR Spatial Tracking Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Apple’s IMG GPU Software team provides the graphics software foundation across all of Apple's innovative products, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and Watch. Combining cutting-edge software frameworks such as Metal with next-generation hardware, GPUSW takes the user experience to the next level. This team announced Metal 3 which provides near-direct access to the graphics processing unit (GPU), enabling you to maximize the graphics and compute potential of apps on iOS, macOS, and tvOS. Building upon an efficient low-overhead architecture with precompiled shaders, fine-grained resource control, and multithreading support, Metal 3 further boosts performance by enabling the GPU to take more control of the rendering pipeline. Moving beyond just graphics, Metal 3 provides deep support for GPU-accelerated machine learning and offers enhanced developer tools that make it even easier to debug, optimize, and deploy Metal apps. On Mac, Metal 3 adds support for virtual reality (VR) rendering and external GPUs, and provides new APIs and optimizations to help developers embrace these emerging technologies within their apps.
- Programming ability in C/C++
- Strong math skills for solving geometric transformation problems
- Expertise in state estimation and extrapolation (computer vision based and/or other)
- Familiarity with VR/AR core concepts and implementation
- Excellent software design, problem solving, and debugging skills
- Strong knowledge of operating system fundamentals and driver model concepts
- Experience with OpenGL/OpenCL/D3D, GPU drivers, or game console GPU programming.
The GPU Software team is looking for a driven and dedicated engineer to work in our GPU Software Architecture group with a focus on VR/AR architecture and infrastructure, including work on the spatial tracking algorithms, compositor, presentation layer and SDK components. This group is responsible for the overall design of Apple's GPU software stack, from the developer APIs (Metal, OpenGL, and OpenCL) to the low level kernel-mode driver infrastructure. We drive cross-functional projects across multiple GPU families and hardware platforms. We work with other groups across the company, including internal and third party application developers, GPU driver engineers, CoreOS, and hardware architects, building the highest quality platform for Apple's customers and developers.
Education & Experience
Technical BS/MS degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with GPU hardware architectures, parallel and asynchronous programming, and performance analysis of those systems is a plus but not required