Software Developer - Tools/Data Science
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
This is a unique opportunity to influence the design of Apple products. Your applications, GUIs and automated data processing workflows will support fundamental research programs that inform future Apple product designs. We’re looking for a creative software developer who likes to work flexibly and contribute in many areas. You’ll work closely with a cross functional team of mechatronics engineers, biomechanists, and human factors researchers to support R&D activities. If you have excellent communication skills, collaborative work habits, a passion for data science, curiosity, imagination and a versatile toolbox of developer skills, we would love to hear from you.
- Experience writing software for macOS/iOS using Swift, Objective-C, or similar
- Proficient in Matlab, Python, or a similar scripting language for automated data analysis of complex, multivariate data sets from a variety of sources.
- Experience creating compelling interactive apps, data visualizations and GUIs. Experience following human interface guidelines for app development preferred.
- Familiarity with network protocols and communication paradigms.
- A deep understanding of physical measurement principles, advanced statistical analysis and mathematical modeling techniques.
- Experience batch processing data and/or creating real-time analysis systems (could include: analog and digital sensors, human motion capture data, digital image correlation techniques, kinematic modeling, 2D and 3D image processing.
- Excellent teamwork, patience, communication skills and a willingness to teach others your craft are desired.
- Also valuable but not required:
- Experience using off-the-shelf and custom-made sensor technologies and programming microcontrollers
- Familiarity with basic electronics, PCB design, typical data acquisition system circuits, electronics troubleshooting and repair, etc.
- Familiarity with mechanical systems, biomechanics, smart wearables.
- Experience with physiological measurements (HR, EEG, EMG, etc)
- Familiarity with database setup, structures and management.
Work with research and design teams to help identify data needs for upcoming programs. Develop automated data pipelines for synchronizing and processing complex data streams from analog and digital sensor systems, IR motion capture systems and photogrammetry systems. Create beautiful GUI’s for user study tools. Deliver compelling data visualizations that enable data driven decision making in the product design process. Incorporate 3rd party API’s into custom developed measurement systems. Setup communication between server/client network protocol (TCP, UDP, etc) Establish data storage and management plans to support research initiatives.
Education & Experience
Minimum BS in Data Science, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Biomechanics, Mechatronics, Biomedical or a similar technical discipline. Must have 3-5 years of relevant work experience. Advanced degrees are invited but 3-5 years of applicable work experience is still required. You are encouraged to provide a link to your portfolio of sample data products and code. Please do not share any secret/proprietary information. Previous experience working with anthropometric data, microcontrollers, physiological sensors, motion capture data, 3D photogrammetry and biomechanical kinematics in human research and/or product design settings is valuable but not required. Previous experience with tools like R, JMP, Tableau, Labview, Polyworks, Rhino3D/Grasshopper is also valuable.