Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience, so Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. The iPad and Mac acoustics integration team is looking for someone to help us innovate, define and execute the next generation of acoustic designs in the iPad and Mac space. Our team has comprehensive ownership of the full system acoustic performance all the way from concept phase to mass production. This means continuous and multi-functional collaboration with a wide variety of teams ranging from transducer design and audio tunings, to system hardware, software, mechanics, quality and reliability. We are looking for someone with initiative who enjoys collaboration to help us package performance, innovation and robustness into our fully custom designs.
- Strong background in an acoustic engineering role within the consumer electronics industry
- Experience conceiving, designing, integrating and specifying custom speakers, microphones and associated hardware as part of complete audio systems for high volume products
- Proven record of successful collaboration with offshore manufacturers and suppliers is a plus
- We highly value one or more of the following competences: structural and acoustic simulation (FEM/BEM), audio electronics, audio transducer design, methods for perceptual and subjective audio quality evaluation, audio signal processing, acoustic measurement methods/equipment and data interpretation/analysis, MATLAB, basic OS navigation
- Deep understanding of acoustic and structural behaviors including unwanted noise/ vibration considerations
- Proven ability to provide effective failure analysis of audio systems through prototype to mass production builds
- Accomplished communicator, self-disciplined with the ability to prioritize and focus
- Must have a passion for creating innovative, high quality products
An acoustic design engineer drives innovation and development of audio hardware for Apple products. This will include owning audio system architecture from concept to mass production and solving speaker and microphone acoustic integration challenges in a multi-functional team. Communicating audio and acoustic concepts/targets to project teams and management. Additionally, driving custom speaker and microphone design and optimization. We encourage creativity and developing new ideas through building prototypes and demos. International travel to support engineering activities (required, approximately 15%)
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics, or an equivalent field, but if you’ve followed a different path to expertise in acoustic hardware design, we still want to hear from you.