Security Engineer, Apple Cloud Services
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new insights have a way of becoming phenomenal products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. We’re a diverse collection of problem solvers and doers, continually reimagining our products, systems, and practices to help people do what they love in new ways. This is a deeply reciprocal place, where everything we build is the result of people in different roles and teams working together to make each other’s ideas stronger. That same real passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices, strengthening our dedication to leave the world better than we found it. Apple Cloud Services (ACS), the team behind iCloud services and the infrastructure that powers it, is looking for security engineers to partner with engineering teams working on new products and features. You will collaborate with developers, site reliability engineers, and security teams to protect ACS services and design a secure foundation for services at Apple. Your work will include full end-to-end security assurance activities including security architecture, threat modeling, some security testing, and risk management. You will be working with partner teams in security engineering, privacy, and offensive security to keep Apple's services secure for our users. If you love diving into different sophisticated technical systems, sharing security improvements, and staying organized enough to ride the chaos to security victory, we want to talk to you!
- 5 or more years conducting security reviews, threat modeling, tracking findings, and communicating risk to engineering and leadership teams
- Extensive experience with threat modeling frameworks and techniques, particularly as applied to agile development
- Knowledgeable about distributed systems’ design patterns and security implications, as well as common infrastructure components including: network architecture, server fleet provisioning and configuration, OOB management, storage, load balancing, virtualization, Kubernetes
- Conversant in at least one programming language such as Python, Java, Go, or Ruby
In this role, you will be the primary security team point of contact for several large engineering efforts. You will work with the engineering teams throughout their development lifecycle. You will conduct security reviews and develop threat models and use the insights from these engagements to create standard methodologies. You will help define, automate and advocate for platform-wide security improvements. You will partner with your colleagues to raise the security bar for all engineering teams at Apple. YOU WILL BE: A technical specialist responsible for the security of Apple's internet-facing services and backend infrastructure Innately curious, listening for nuances and digging into details to understand systems and their weaknesses Able to identify areas that are ripe for improvement and establishes appropriate security goals Experienced and comfortable building relationships with teams to drive security improvements Current on new security technologies, vulnerabilities, and methodologies An excellent verbal and written communicator Able to develop proof of concept systems to automate security recommendations, vulnerability discovery, and process workflows Able to use data to drive security review efficiency and prioritize high-value security team engagement Responsible for security decisions impacting millions of users
Education & Experience
Bachelors degree in Computer Science / Engineering or a related, with emphasis in security related fields or equivalent experience. Bonus points for community contributions like public CVEs, bug bounty recognition, open source tools, blogs, talks etc.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.