Apple Media Products Engineering - Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, Washington, United States
Software and Services
Apple Media Products (AMP) first delighted users with downloadable music in April 2003 with the opening of the iTunes Store. Since then, AMP has delivered countless innovations around the digital delivery of audio and video, and in 2008 revolutionized smartphone app distribution with the launch of the App Store. Being the source for so much digital content requires maintaining relationships with a vast number of providers, from record labels to movie studios to app developers. The Digital Supply Chain Engineering team (DSCE) is responsible for ensuring that new content is uploaded, processed, cataloged, and available on our storefronts when the provider expects it to be, and with the highest quality. We are looking for a forward thinking self-starter to join the Content Delivery team. From our roots revolutionizing the music industry, we have grown to encompass not only music, but also audiobooks, e-books, TV, movies, the iOS App Store, the Mac App Store, and more. All of this content requires a best-in-class, large-scale, automated content ingestion system and digital asset repository in order to be expertly delivered from content providers and prepared for distribution to customers. Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
- At least 5+ years experience with object-oriented programming and data modeling
- Proficiency implementing software in Java and experience in Cassandra, Kafka required
- Experience in writing REST APIs
- Experienced in relational data modeling in and SQL, and NoSQL databases
- Experience with large data repositories and digital media formats for audio, video, and/or e-books is also helpful
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies
- Strong written and oral communication skills
On this team you will participate in designing and developing applications for the ingestion of content for the App Store, Apple TV, Apple Music and Apple Books. You will deal with a variety of projects ranging from client software to back-end services as well as the logic and infrastructure which supports them both. In our Content Delivery team, we develop software written in multiple programming languages, deployed across many platforms and used by app developers and content providers around the world. We handle a high volume of transactions and support the transfer of large volumes of binary data each day. We are seeking a self starting, high-energy individual who is not afraid to question assumptions and with excellent written and oral skills. Besides purely technical aspects, directly contacting partners, and deduce the technical requirements for a project based on fragmentary business input is very important. Being a good teammate under deadline constraints in addition to tackling problems with forward-thinking solutions is key to success in this position. This is a rare opportunity to join the AMP team. In many ways AMP is the beating heart at the center of Apple’s products. Very few teams have the breadth of involvement in Apple’s product pipeline across the board as that exercised by this team's management of content!
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience. MS in Computer Science or related technical field is desired.
- This position is in a small team that is tightly focused on a specific set of critically important systems. Your ability and self-motivation to learn new technologies, and promote novel solutions to the problems at hand, is important to success. The team is remotely distributed across the continental US, so strong communication skills are necessary.