Wireless System Design and Integration Engineer Lead
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, we work every single day to craft products that enrich people’s lives. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? We have an opportunity for a forward-thinking and unusually hardworking Wireless System Engineer. As a member of our wide-ranging group, you will have the rare and extraordinary opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and encourage millions of Apple’s customers every single day. In this technical role, you will lead chip bringup and characterization efforts including physical layer system design, integration, and characterization of state-of-the-art wireless SoC products at the center of a silicon design group from conception to production.
- Minimum of 8+proven experience in system design, integration, bringing up and productization of wireless communication systems.
- Experience in bringing up a wireless communication system chip including initial bringup/tuning of most of the key blocks, tuning of the tx, rx chains, and/or implementation and optimization of radio or phy communication or calibration algorithms.
- 3+ years of system designs and integration experiences in leading positions.
- Deep understanding of communication theory and signal processing related algorithms (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairment estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, etc.)
- Extensive experience, knowledge and skills on system design, integration, bring up, characterization and debug of real wireless silicon in lab
- Experience using and understanding of the theory of operation of lab equipment (spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc.).
- Experience bringing up a wireless chip from
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, hardware and software control.
- Experience with silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms is a plus.
- Experience with multi-radio coexistence management is a plus.
- Knowledge in existing wireless communication protocols: LTE/WCDMA/GSM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be, 802.11ad/ay or Bluetooth/BLE.
- Experience with Matlab, Python, Shell scripting and/or C/C++
Provide technical leadership to the chip bringup effort including individual contribution and support of the following responsibilities. Implement system models for the wireless communication system and its RF/circuit impairments and design, simulate, and implement state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication algorithms. Design algorithms for calibration, pre-equalization, cancellation, and/or pre-distortion techniques to achieve efficient and robust performance across a large number of parts, systems, and wireless channels. Implement fixed-point models and perform detailed performance investigation to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL bit-exact development. Realize PHY algorithms with digital designers using power and area efficient digital implementations. Realize PHY methods with firmware designers using high efficiency software implementations, and hardware acceleration. Validate and characterize algorithms on real silicon alongside RFIC and digital circuit designers and automation/test engineers. Bring-up and take to production state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication system algorithms for very high data rate applications. Design firmware based algorithms involving MAC-PHY interactions and SW based PHY configurations and implement codes in Python and in firmware. Develop test plans and work with automation/test engineers to implement the same, collect and analyze test result, identify and debug issues.
Education & Experience
MS or Ph.D. with 8+ years of experience.