Sustainable Materials & Policy Specialist, Early Engagement
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Are you a creative problem solver and self-starter? Are you passionate about sustainable materials and leading impactful projects to solve environmental issues? As a Sustainable Materials & Policy Specialist, you'll be tasked with solving the challenge of ensuring materials used in Apple’s products are responsibly sourced, and develop policies that support Apple’s commitment to being 100 percent carbon neutral for its supply chain and products by 2030! We celebrate diversity and the innovation that it spurs in everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join us, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The Environment & Supply Chain Innovation Early Engagement team seeks to incorporate social & environmental research, assessment data and insights into new product introduction (NPI) processes at Apple.
- Proven track record to working successfully with suppliers globally on environmental and social issues
- Knowledge of using voluntary sustainability standards or certification schemes with raw materials or industries (i.e., food and beverage, consumer goods, textiles)
- Experience partnering with international environmental and policy decision makers, and integrating them into project-level work to drive improved outcomes
- Experience collaborating with product development teams, establishing and leading cross-functional sustainability projects, and influencing strategic business decisions
- Basic understanding of global supply chain and factory operations
- You are an equal parts communicator, project manager and problem solver who can:
- Simplify technical content in order to communicate risk and solutions to suppliers and Apple executives,
- Manage third party vendors to ensure timely delivery of program objectives,
- Be flexible but willing to take action, capable of dealing with ambiguity, and
- Excel at running multiple projects in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment
- Support Apple’s Supplier Responsibility Early Engagement program, with an emphasis on recycled and agricultural value chains - Develop innovative sourcing policy strategies across industries and countries - demonstrating objective data and partnerships with non-profits and credible third-party firms - Engage cross-functional internal teams and potential suppliers to evaluate and influence the adoption of sustainable materials with respect to the following: Material Selection, Supplier Selection, Sourcing Requirements - Review and analyze global trends, policies, third-party certification schemes and voluntary sustainability standards to ensure the highest standards for protecting people and the environment are in place where Apple’s global suppliers operate - Research policies and external partners to accelerate Apple’s environmental goals: - Resources: Closed Loop (Waste Shipment Policy) - Smarter Chemistry: Heavy Metals (Zero Hazardous Discharge Policy) - Climate: Clean Energy & Energy Efficiency (Climate Change Policy)
Education & Experience
- Minimum BS/BA degree, Master’s degree or law degree preferred, with emphasis in operations, international policy, environmental regulatory affairs or equivalent
- - Experience working with social enterprises, non-profit organizations, or international development organizations required
- - Excellent communication skills, verbal and written in English. Chinese fluency preferred.
- - Experience with applying environmental, social, and governance (ESG) indicators and due diligence frameworks, such as Dodd-Frank Section 1502, OECD due diligence or responsible business conduct preferred
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.