Optical Sensing HW - Design Verification Lead - Laser Sensing
Santa Clara, California, United States
Design, develop, and launch next-generation light-sensing technologies. Bring devices to life and enable them interact with users and the environment in ways never imagined before. The optical sensing team designs and integrates sensors across a variety of Apple products such as iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. The team is looking for someone who is a self-driven go-getter. Strong experience with optics, optical system design, and detectors is required. Join us in crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet.
- Deep expertise in characterization and metrology of optical sensors, with a proven track record of bringing a design-mindset to characterization and measurement.
- Expertise in the operating principle and use of advanced tools in optical metrology, including spectrometers, free-space optics, microscopes, cameras, detectors (and associated analog signal conditioning/amplification), oscilloscopes, etc.
- Competency with Matlab or Python (or C/C++, C#, etc) for modeling, data acquisition, and data analysis.
- Experience supporting volume manufacturing of optical systems is a plus, specifically the validation of production test via lab measurements and leading failure analysis for first-of-a-kind technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Design, specify, build, and operate custom characterization equipment for first-of-a-kind optical sensors. When appropriate, enable lab technicians and contract support staff to operate these tools through your reliable design. - Lead hypothesis-driven characterization and failure analysis to provide early-stage design feedback to a cross-functional team including mechanical engineers, optical designers, and manufacturing experts. - Support root cause analysis with optical simulation using homemade tools or commercial packages such as Zemax or LightTools. - Failure mode analysis, root-cause diagnosis, and system-level problem solving. Analyze data to draw conclusions, enhance product design/manufacturability - Travel to support design/production/supplier teams as necessary. Business travel to support product development (up to 10%), when consistent with public health guidance on travel.
Education & Experience
- PhD Degree in Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or Masters degree and work experience that demonstrated the Key Qualifications.