Business Development Manager, Alternative Payments
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences people once couldn’t have imagined — and now can’t imagine living without. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there’s no telling what you could accomplish. If you’re excited by the idea of making a real impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves in being one of the most diverse and inclusive companies in the world, a career with Apple might be your dream job! The Apple Wallets, Payments, and Commerce (WPC) team is seeking an experienced Business Development Manager to lead Alternative Payments Partnerships. We are looking for a proven professional in global alternative and emerging payment solutions. We need your help forming partnership framework and commercial models, defining implementation paradigms, identifying key players and managing relationships with strategic alternative payment partners. This position will be responsible for the end to end business development, including screening partners, negotiating and closing commercial agreements and launching new programs. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable with ambiguity, enjoys thinking about edge cases and asking “what is an alternative way of doing this”, and is a strong verbal and written communicator with a high level of integrity, energy, and sense of urgency to “make things happen”. This position is located in our Cupertino, CA headquarters and will be a full time inhouse role once Apple returns to an in-office work arrangement post-COVID.
- 10+ years of professional experience with 6+ years in business or market development at multiple companies in financial services segments.
- 5+ years experience working in or with alternative payment providers, such as digital wallets, BNPL, Fast Payments, cryptocurrency and etc..
- Deep knowledge of the alternative payments ecosystem, understanding the complexities of funds flow, roles/responsibilities for settlement, relevant regulations and industry standards and the wide spectrum of FinTech products.
- Direct experience in structuring partnership deals, negotiating business and technical terms across multiple partners in the payment industry.
- Track records of impactful partnership establishments, management and growth.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong working relationships internally and externally.
- Strong ability to influence without authority, sell concepts and actively drive streamlined decision making across partners.
- Self-starter who works optimally in a dynamic environment and is comfortable managing ambiguity while delivering projects to completion with minimal mentorship.
- Develop and execute strategic and tactical plans across many organizational partners. Ability to articulate the broader vision combined with the ability to understand the executional details.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze opportunities from many angles (both quantitative and qualitative) to persuade internal and external decision makers.
- Expertise building business cases around market opportunities and partnerships - including strategy development, market segmentation, competitive analysis, and financial analysis.
- Upbeat and collaborative teammate who feeds off of goal setting and achievement.
- Proficiency with Apple products and applications is highly preferred.
Lead the partnership program with key players in the Alternative Payments ecosystem, covering the complete process of partner identification, business case development and socialization, partnership negotiation, contract signing and execution, go to market launch and continued partnership value growth. Work with senior level partners internally and externally to advance business case, secure resources and provide ongoing communications. Provide industry insights and market opportunities to Apple cross-functional teams, including alliance, product, engineering, and marketing to influence business strategy and product roadmaps for the growth of Apple Pay and Wallet Services. 25% travel required.
Education & Experience
BS/BA degree required. MBA preferred