Operations Research Scientist – Advanced Analytics Team, WWBPR
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Machine Learning and AI
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don’t just craft products - we build the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it! The Worldwide Business Process Re-Engineering team is looking for a top research scientist in optimization and stochastic systems to drive the development of our future supply chain and planning processes. At Apple, the growing supply chain complexity and scale presents outstanding challenges to traditional analytics techniques. You will be part of a small team of specialists responsible for crafting and developing complex analytics models for strategic and tactical decision-making. This position is based in Cupertino, CA.
- Experience understanding key performance levers and metrics to highlight operational issues and drive improvement. Proven history of designing and developing in-depth analytical solutions
- Practical experience solving real world problems and solid understanding of optimization algorithms and tools (Gurobi, Cplex, or Xpress)
- Solid understanding of predictive modeling and algorithms for classification, regression, clustering, and anomaly detection
- Innate curiosity and the ability to identify, define and execute project plans and develop modeling approaches suitable for the problem
- Self-sufficient with an ability to thrive in an environment of autonomy amidst ambiguity
- Sound interpersonal skills - adept at messaging domain and technical content, at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Excellent teammate - invested in the collective success of the team and project outcomes
- Experience with data acquisition tools (e.g. SQL), analytics and data visualization
- Experience prototyping and developing software in programming languages (Python/Java/C++)
• Engage with business teams to find opportunities, understand requirements, translate those requirements into technical solutions and drive critical projects • Design data science approach, applying tried-and-true techniques or developing custom algorithms as needed by the business problem • Collaborate with data engineers and infrastructure partners to implement robust solutions and operationalize models. Enhance and evolve solutions to meet changing business needs with agility. Work collaboratively across teams and present results of analyses and models to partners and senior leaders • Research new technologies and methods across data science, data engineering, and data visualization to improve the technical capabilities of the team
Education & Experience
• PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research or a related field and 5+ years of proven experience OR • MS in related field with 8+ years hands-on proven experience