Lead Architect, Ad Platforms
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
At Apple, we work every day to create products that enrich people’s lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and imaginative content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Today, our technology and services power advertising in Search Ads in the App Store and Apple News. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. The Ad Platforms engineering team takes a customer-centric approach to building privacy preserving and principled advertising products, platforms and algorithms that are secure, performant and innovative. Quality, resiliency, and scalability are core tenets to how we build, and we succeed using innovation, experimentation and platform-first thinking. We are looking for a Lead Architect who can define and drive our long-term technology vision, innovate on some of Apple’s most confidential and strategic plans and build designs that deliver business growth and experiences that exceed customer expectations.
- Architect distributed systems and develop enterprise-level technology roadmaps at global scale.
- Deliver robust services that function at internet scale, or other very large scale distributed systems, across data centers and geographies.
- Implement cohesive architectural vision with consistent, predictable and repeatable processes.
- Design ultra-low latency systems with graceful degradation characteristics, fault-tolerance, resilience, and reliability.
- Drive decisions that result in scalable, consistent and elegantly simple solutions.
- Continually analyze architecture and current technology to proactively recommend improvements and new solutions that drive transformation.
- Build and operationalize big data technologies, data platforms, managed services and machine learning - backed applications in public/private/hybrid cloud infrastructures.
- Design with uncompromising focus on security and privacy.
- Advocate, influence and drive alignment with fellow architects, engineers and business owners at all levels, and across multiple domains.
- Orchestrate trade-off decisions (build vs buy vs open source) across teams within and outside direct control, in a transparent, collaborative fashion.
- Demonstrate technical capability and the intellectual curiosity to stay abreast of new technologies and the competitive landscape.
- Develop and mentor across the organization to create a culture of technical excellence that attracts top talent.
Our ideal candidate will demonstrate a balance of deep technical knowledge and a leadership style that inspires the team and reinforces our engineering culture. In this role you will be accountable for delivering both technical and business outcomes. You will represent the “voice of the technology roadmap”, and as the business evolves, you will provide a strategic technical perspective that ensures long-term, sustainable growth. Using your passion for privacy-centric design, you will establish an architectural vision that sets the direction for our system’s future. You will focus on the spectrum from high-level vision to low-level implementation. As scope, complexity, and scale increase, you will work with engineering, product and business teams to drive system architecture across the stack, from client (iOS), to public/private cloud and data. And, as an active participant in the Apple-wide architecture community, you will seek opportunities to collaborate, coordinate reuse and contribute your strategic thinking. Along the way, you will define, align and champion standard patterns and best practices with architects, engineers, and product managers. You will influence the approaches and behaviors of the team by steering technology choices using sound decision criteria, clearly communicating the context behind key decisions and aligning solution implementations to evolving standards. Fostering a climate of inclusion, you will encourage constructive debate, embrace resistance as an opportunity to teach and learn, and promote the free-flow of information and ideas. Success will rely on deep technical expertise, skillful advocacy and persuasion, multi-level partnering and an ability to understand, and navigate the cultural and ‘people’ dynamics of a complex, global organization.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering discipline or equivalent. Master's degree preferred.