Sr. Engineer, Maps POI
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Software and Services
In the mobile age, knowledge of the physical world around you is vital. People around the world rely on complex mapping information to get around, learn about their environment, and build spectacular experiences for custom applications. Apple Maps is looking for a passionate Senior Engineer! Engineers at Maps are responsible for building, maintaining, and optimizing new and existing data pipelines in support of driving the features you see on Maps today. We are looking for people with a proven track records of shipping complex, high quality, cross-functional software solutions. Maps engineers are engaged with all aspects of the software development process. Our team builds and maintains scalable and reliable services and pipelines for the Points of Interest data platform to enable new and existing Maps features.
- At least 6+ years of software engineering experience.
- Exceptional object-oriented programming skills - Scala or Java preferred.
- A clear track record of making a difference in the projects you drive
- Self-starting, self-motivated, self-directed, and self-sufficient.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) to all levels of an organization. Understands various audiences needs.
- Understands the importance of timing/urgency and pushes on the most critical issues.
- Experience in map-based, location-based services or maps data is a plus.
A software engineer understands not only their projects but how they fit into more significant initiatives. The ideal candidate will understand how to scope, prioritize and manage their work. They will act as a partner with many teams, driving clarity and judgment on what is best for the project, the Maps group, and Apple. Maps are complex, so you will be expected to readily understand complicated systems and their interdependencies and evaluate the effects of new asks and new information on those systems. The Maps team is looking for software engineers who can thrive in a fast-paced workplace where both individual drive and team collaboration are the keys to success. In this role, you will be responsible for code contributions within a senior software development team. The products and their components will have a great need for collaboration and integration, which need open communication, succinct planning, and execution. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are a must-have for any candidate. Being a self-starter with a strong sense of personal responsibility and ownership is also essential as the team is looking for the kind of person who can dive right into a problem and take care of it without being asked to do so. Remember, you will be helping to care for a system that serves the passions and needs of millions of customers, so we're looking for somebody who can be equally passionate.
Education & Experience
Degree in Computer Science or other engineering field or relevant experience is desired.
- The following are nice to have:
- - Familiarity with distributed data processing technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, Hive.
- - Familiarity with Cassandra/Solr/Kafka/Elastic Search or related technologies
- - Experience working with large data sets (billion+ records)
- - Experience working with backend services, K8s.