System Architecture Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
We’re a diverse collection of thinkers and doers, continually reimagining what’s possible to help us all do what we love in new ways. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, as well as with services, including iTunes, the App Store, Apple Music, and Apple Pay. And the same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices — strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. We are seeking a highly motivated, energetic System Architect to lead and drive system technical designs and roadmaps. The ideal candidate oversees and analyzes key system architectural and implementation trade-offs such as power and performance in a thermally constrained system, analyzing silicon, PCB, and interconnect floor plans while taking SI, EMC and RF into consideration, and system power states and power budget analysis.
- Deep expertise in Consumer Electronics will empower you to succeed on the team, and your dedication to quality will help ensure our product is able to surprise and delight countless Apple customers
- Must have phenomenal system architecture fundamentals. This means you have an understanding of how data flows in a system and you've developed an intuition on product definition and can apply it to new features because you understand what matters and how to build it
- Must have great analytical skills to lead the team on key systems engineering architectural and implementation trade-offs on high performance, low power, and high quality products
- Deep knowledge of SoC architecture definition and performance and power analysis.
- Deep understanding of the SoC and SW interworking to drive power and thermal optimization of the end system.
- Must have familiarity on actual product lifecycle from specification to launch.
- Comfortable with signal and image processing fundamentals to be able to create and functional models of the system (in C/C++/SystemC).
- Experience designing high volume products from beginning to end as well as experience creating and influencing system specification documents
- Strong verbal communication skills across organizations and at the executive level
- Excellent written skills for clear reporting of data analysis and conclusions
- 10+ years work experience
This role also requires strong communication, persuasion and negotiation skills in addition to being comfortable with working through ambiguities. You will have the opportunity to mentor other engineers for the best standards, methodologies, and practices in systems development. Other responsibilities include: • Gather and analyze end product use cases and map to system requirements. • Identify key enabling technologies and work with the technology teams to specify technical requirements (SoC(s) and other components in the system). • Define, simulate, and model product performance vs. power (performance per watt) • Be able to develop functional model (as a golden model) of the system to deliver specification in an executable fashion. • Build SoC requirements spec based on simulation and analysis data • Work with cross-functional engineering managers and architects on hardware and software sign-off the requirement specification. • Specify, negotiate, and document system power management and user level behaviors • Join hands-on prototype bring-up and debugging efforts • Review, influence and challenge system performance decisions with new ideas based on the modeled / measured data • Creatively influence product roadmaps across groups
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in electrical engineering or computer engineering