Cost Engineering Program Manager, Electrical
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they craft the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The Cost Engineering Team (CET) will partner with cross-functional product teams across Apple Home, Beats and Ecosystem to develop and introduce new products that are both innovative and cost advantaged. Our objective is to support premium & high quality products, but to also drive Design to Cost and Design to Value to support cost sensitive products (CSP).
- Background in Electrical Engineering is preferred with a sourcing background is helpful
- Experience in EE commodities and technologies including should costing and sourcing. Preferably including Display, Flex, PCB, Battery, Power and other EE components.
- Ability to own should costing and investigation of alternate components that meet design requirements
- Ability to challenge the EE design team on requirements, specifications and suggest alternate designs.
- Self starter with demonstrated program management skills, attention to detail, ability to influence cross-functional teams
- Fundamental understanding of Design for Cost/Value
The team collaborates with Hardware Engineering, Product Design, Marketing, EPM, NPI/NPO, GSM, and OPD to develop CSP structural cost targets in support of business pricing and margin targets. Key engagements will be with both the system and module teams. Develop and implement cost strategies and roadmap from the early architecture and proof of concept stages through the engineering builds to product ramp. Drive detailed trade-off analyses. Push to understand why something costs what it costs, challenge the status quo, develop innovative solutions and ideas that will improve the cost. Dive into the details of the design and the supply chain in order to offer alternatives. Drive sourcing and development model decision with cross-functional partners in BizOps and GSM. Own off-AVL discussions and initial supplier bring-up. Drive product cost optimization and industry/supply chain intelligence through competitive product tear down activities and bottoms up cost estimation.
Education & Experience
BS degree in engineering (EE, ME/IE, CS) with 10+ yrs of experience or Master's degree with 8+ yrs of experience. MBA preferred.