RF Systems Architect-5G/6G
San Diego, California, United States
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Join us to help deliver RF system design for devices operating in next generation groundbreaking radio access networks. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft next generation wireless technology that will have deep impact on future Apple products and inspire millions of Apple’s customers every single day. Wireless technologies have become a crucial part of all Apple devices that delight our customers. Our team has the mission to research emerging spectrum trends and RF architecture evolution leading to next generation radio access networks and use cases. In this role you will be at the innovative center of the RF system engineering and architecture group responsible for defining RF architecture evolution in response to emerging 6G spectrum, RF requirement exploration for 5G-advanced and 6G technologies, and for driving practical radio access technology into 3GPP and other relevant standardization bodies.
- We value your 7+ years of relevant experience in RF including direct expertise in transmitter, receiver architectures, and system design, but never satisfied with your knowledge so continually study, research, and collaborate to grow.
- You have in-depth knowledge of cellular radio standards (GSM, UMTS, LTE, NR), regulatory requirements, and carrier requirements including their implications on overall radio architectures and RF system design.
- We value your relevant experience in RF system design for emerging vertical applications of cellular specifications, such as LTE/NR access to unlicensed spectrum, non-terrestrial networks, sidelink, and wireless sensing.
- We consider your knowledge of connectivity standards (IEEE 802.11ax, IEEE 802.11ax/ay/az/be) a plus.
- You have in-depth knowledge with RF architecture and requirements for multi-antenna systems, mmWave beamforming, and radiated requirements for multi-antenna systems.
- We value your strong understanding of antenna array theory and associated measurement methods.
- We value your experience with very high frequencies (GHz, THz).
- We consider your knowledge of RF coexistence of diverse systems (e.g. active and passive systems) and spectrum policy a huge plus.
- We are seeking an engineer with a background of 3GPP RAN working group participation (particularly RAN4) and a desire to drive practical RF innovation into 3GPP RAN4 specifications.
- We value your strong analytical and interpersonal skills with an ability to thrive in a multi-functional environment.
In this role you will: Research emerging 6G spectrum policy, use cases, and trends Analyze RF coexistence and emerging spectrum regulation Design RF architecture and requirements for devices operating in next generation (5G-advanced and 6G) radio access networks Define RF requirements for emerging vertical use cases with 5G-advanced 6G radios Participate in 3GPP RAN4 and other relevant standardization bodies
Education & Experience
Your BS or MS degree in electrical engineering is the foundation of your successful career to date. We would prefer a Ph.D. in electrical engineering or equivalent.