Characterization Engineer (Depth Module HW)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
The Depth Hardware group at Apple develops depth-sensing hardware such as the revolutionary TrueDepth camera that powers FaceID, and the breakthrough LiDAR scanner. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers is responsible for architecture, research, and manufacturing development of these highly complex sensing systems for Apple products. The Depth Hardware team is seeking an optical characterization engineer to support characterization and validation of depth sensors for future depth applications.
- Experience in designing or characterizing hardware systems such as depth sensors, cameras, or compact imaging optical systems
- Experience in developing characterization instrument involving optical, mechanical and electrical hardware
- Experience with typical optics lab equipment – cameras, power meters, detectors, oscilloscopes, optical stages/mounts, etc.
- Experience using C/C++, C#, Matlab, or Python for lab equipment control, data collection and data analysis
- Experience with image processing and quantitative imaging analysis is a plus
- Experience with 3D CAD mechanical design for fixtures is a plus
- Experience with board level circuit debug and soldering is a plus
- Experience supporting volume manufacturing of optical systems is a plus
• Primary focus is on engineering level depth sensor characterization for design validation and failure analysis • Define and execute characterization and validation plans, develop quantitative metrics to evaluate performance, develop new characterization methods and hardware setups • Build, automate, and qualify characterization tools for camera systems and optical illumination systems • Document setup procedures and characterization methods, present summary results • Operate and maintain characterization tools • Travel to support design/production/supplier teams as necessary (up to 10%)
Education & Experience
M.S or PhD degree in Optics, Physics or Electrical Engineering 2+(PhD) or 5+(MS) years of industry experience